The vegan options at Taco Bell are probably our #1 go-to on road trips. What exit we’re going to stop and get gas at is usually dictated by if it has a Taco Bell.
With the addition of being able to order something “fresco style,” you are staying in the Taco Bell worker’s wheelhouse which tends to lead to more accurate orders.
We go into detail on how to order Vegan at Taco Bell. Here you go…
Vegan Options at Taco Bell
The 101 On Ordering Vegan at Taco Bell.
- Order exactly how we have said to do it below. We have included all ingredients listed with exactly which to eliminate. -OR-
- If you know the item is already vegetarian, you can ask for it to be made “Fresco Style.” This takes out any dairy AND guacamole then replaces them with tomatoes. Our vegan items below do not include any options that you have to worry about removing guac so go ahead and order any of them Fresco Style.
- You can customize any order.
- Ordering online is available at most locations & makes it super easy to ensure you are ordering & subbing ingredients correctly.
I chose to preface the guide with your optional customizations so you can go into the list of vegan options thinking about how you can make it yours if you prefer.
Be aware, removing items does not reduce the price but adding add-ons cost extra; except for ordering Fresco Style–this is a way to add tomatoes for no extra cost.
- Refried Beans (+ $.45)
- Black Beans (+ $.45)
- Potatoes (+ $.70)
- Seasoned Rice (+ $.45)
- Guacamole (+ $.85)
- Tomatoes (+ $.45)
- Onions (+ $.30)
- Jalapeno Peppers (+ $.45)
- Red Sauce (+ $.30)
- Fiesta Strips (+$.30)
- Nacho Fries (+$.50)
- Black Bean Soft or Crunchy Taco. Order with NO cheese … comes with black beans and lettuce. Ordering “Fresco Style will remove the cheese and ADD tomatoes for no extra cost.
- Refried Bean Soft or Crunchy Taco. Order with NO cheese … comes with refried beans and lettuce. Ordering “Fresco Style will remove the cheese and ADD tomatoes for no extra cost.
You have the option to order your burrito ‘grilled.’
- Bean Burrito. Order with NO cheese or “Fresco Style.” Ordering “Fresco Style” will remove the cheese and add tomatoes … comes with refried beans, onions and red sauce.
- Veggie Burrito Supreme. Order with NO cheese or sour cream. Or just say “Fresco Style” … comes with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, lettuce and red sauce.
- Cheesy Bean & Rice Burrito. Order with NO nacho cheese sauce or creamy jalapeno sauce. Or just say “Fresco Style. This will remove the dairy and add tomatoes … comes with refried beans and seasoned rice.
- Black Bean Crunchwrap Supreme. Order with NO sour cream or nacho cheese sauce. Or just say “Fresco Style … comes with black beans, tomatoes and lettuce. You may want to get creative with this one. Otherwise, it tastes a bit bland.
- Nachos BellGrande. Order “Fresco Style” and with NO beef … comes with nachos, refried beans and nachos.
- Chips and Nacho Cheese. Order with NO cheese … this will just be chips.
- Veggie Mexican Pizza. Order with NO cheese … comes with refried beans, Mexican pizza sauce, and tomatoes on Mexican pizza shells. Could be fun to add some “add-ons” to customize your pizza.
- Black Bean Chalupa. Order with NO cheese or sour cream. Or just say “Fresco Style … comes with black beans, lettuce and tomatoes.
- Power Menu Veggie Bowl. Order with NO cheese, sour cream or avocado ranch dressing. Ordering “Fresco Style” will automatically remove the dairy … comes with black beans, seasoned rice, guacamole, lettuce and tomatoes.
Sides & Sweets
- Nacho Fries. Order with NO cheese sauce … golden, crisp fries seasoned with bold Mexican spices.
- Black Beans … a bowl of black beans.
- Seasoned Rice … a bowl of seasoned rice
- Black Beans & Rice … a bowl of black beans and seasoned rice
- Chips and Nacho Cheese. Order with NO cheese … this will just be chips.
- Pintos N Cheese. Order with NO cheese … this is a bowl of pinto beans & red sauce.
- Potatoes. They have a side called Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes. Let them know you just want a side of potatoes with nothing else.
- Hash Brown
- Cinnamon Twists = sweet treat yum!
- Diablo Sauce Packet
- Mild Sauce Packet
- Hot Sauce Packet
- Fire Sauce Packet
- Red Sauce
- Breakfast Salsa
* As with any restaurant that is not 100% vegan or does not offer a designated cooking space for their vegan options, cross contamination can occur and fryers/grills may be shared with animal products. You can choose what your level of comfort is with these potential issues.
Note: VeggL is a US-based website. All info contained on our site (and app) is regarding US based locations.
Taco Bell Vegan FAQ
Is Taco Bell’s Guacamole Vegan?
Yes! According to Taco Bell’s Guacamole ingredient list, it is certified vegan. The ingredients are:
Avocado pulp (avocado, lime juice, salt), onions, tomatoes, sauce (soybean oil, water, salt, distilled vinegar, cane sugar, garlic powder, disodium inosinate and guanylate, dehydrated onion, spice, citric acid, mustard, modified corn starch, sorbic acid, phosphoric acid, propylene glycol alginate, xanthan gum, natural flavor, calcium disodium EDTA (P). [certified vegan]
Are Nacho Fries Vegan?
The short answer is yes, the Nacho Fries at Taco Bell are vegan. Just make sure to order them WITHOUT the Nacho Cheese dipping sauce. Long Answer: Are Taco Bell’s Nacho Fries Vegan?
What are the Red Strips at Taco Bell made of?
The Red Strips are also called Fiesta Strips at Taco Bell. They are crunchy tortilla strips with a red coloring and are certified vegan. The ingredients are:
corn masa flour, vegetable oil, beet juice, annatto extract and carrot juice
Does Taco Bell Have Beyond Meat?
Taco Bell does not have Beyond Meat. At least not yet, but according to a recent announcement, Beyond Meat may be on the Taco Bell menu soon.
Are the refried beans at Taco Bell vegan?
Yes! Here is the official ingredient list from Taco Bell’s website: Pinto beans, soybean oil, seasoning (salt, sugar, spice, beet powder (VC), natural flavors, sunflower oil, maltodextrin, corn flour, trehalose, modified cornstarch). [certified vegan]
Does Taco Bell offer Potatoes?
Yes! Currently, Taco Bell offers the Spicy Potatoes but no longer carries the Nacho Fries.
Is the Chalupa shell vegan?
Yes! If you look at Taco Bell’s allergen information, the Chalupa shell ingredients list says, “Certified Vegan.” You will have to substitute the beef for beans and order NO sour cream or cheese. Or, order the Black Bean Chalupa Fresco Style.
Which ingredients are “Certified Vegan?”
Chalupa Shell, Crunchy Taco Shell, Soft Taco Shell, Nacho Chips, Hash Brown, Black Beans, Seasoned Refried Beans, Seasoned Rice, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Jalapeno Peppers, Onions, Cinnamon Twist, Hash Browns, Fiesta Tortilla Strips.
Guacamole: As of 10.8.2022, Taco Bell’s website labels their guacamole certified vegan; however, we have been made aware by a VeggL user that their location in Wisconsin said their guac contains dairy. We have reached out to Taco Bell to verify and will update you once we know more. We suggest asking before ordering.
Are Taco Bell Freezes vegan?
Since Taco Bell changes their options and add in limited-time flavors as well, we suggest looking at each individual flavors ingredients list to confirm.
At one time, all of them were “accidentally vegan” however we have been made aware that a flavor currently available contains confectioners sugar. Confectioner’s glaze, also known as shellac, is a resin secreted by the female lac insect.
We noticed a couple of discrepenisies on Taco Bell’s website regarding the freeze’s as well so we have contacted them to ask addiitonal quesitons and will update this question when we learn more.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 300 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Ryan’s Pick: Bean Burritos “Fresco Style”. To be very specific, 3 Bean Burritos “Fresco Style” with Fire Sauce. As mentioned above, this is probably my favorite road trip quick stop meal.
Pro Tip – Don’t try to open up the burrito to add the sauce, just squeeze out a bit onto the end of each bite. And bonus add-ins that make it even better is the seasoned rice and potatoes.
Jen’s Pick: Bean Burrito “Fresco Style,” with 2 packets of Mild Sauce/burrito will always be my go-to with Cinnamon Twists.
- If you’d like to check out Taco Bell’s full menu, head over to their Official Menu Page
- Information pulled from Taco Bell’s Ingredient Page
- Taco Bell not quite what you’re looking for? Check out Del Taco, Chipotle or one of our other over 175 Cheat Sheets for popular chain restaurants.
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up-to-date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!