The vegan options at Taco Bell are probably our #1 go-to on road trips. What exit we’re going to stop and get gas at is usually dictated by if it has a Taco Bell. With the addition of being able to order something “fresco style,” you are staying in the Taco Bell worker’s wheelhouse which tends to lead to more correct orders.
Bean Burritos “fresco style” with Fire or Mild sauce is our most ordered option and Cinnamon Twists are always a nice sweet treat. Next time you need a quick bite on a road trip, late night, or anytime really, try out the vegan options at Taco Bell.
Vegan Options at Taco Bell
The 101 On Ordering Vegan at Taco Bell.
- Order exactly how we have said to do it below. We have included all ingredients listed with exactly which to eliminate. -OR-
- If you know the item is already vegetarian, you can ask for it to be made “fresco style.” This takes out any dairy and ALSO guacamole then replaces them with pico de gallo.
- You can add potatoes, seasoned rice, beans (refried or black bean), lettuce or tomato (for an additional cost) to any menu item. Onion and red sauce can be added for no additional cost.
- Ordering online is available at most locations & makes it super easy to ensure you are ordering & subbing ingredients correctly.
VeggL Quick Order
- Spicy Potato Soft Taco includes lettuce. Order “Fresco Style.” This automatically takes off the cheese and chipotle sauce and adds pico de gallo.
- Crunchy or Soft Taco includes lettuce. Order with NO cheese or beef. Substitute with black and/or pinto beans.
- Crunchy or Soft Taco Supreme includes lettuce & tomatoes. Order with NO cheese, sour cream or beef. Substitute with black and/or pinto beans.
- Bean Burrito includes pinto beans, red sauce & onions. Order with NO cheese. Ordering “Fresco Style” will remove the cheese and add pico de gallo.
- Cheesy Bean & Rice Burrito includes pinto beans & seasoned rice. Order with NO cheese sauce or creamy jalapeno sauce. Ordering “Fresco Style” will automatically remove the dairy and add pico de gallo.
- Burrito Supreme includes pinto beans, tomatoes, onion, red sauce & lettuce. Order with NO beef or sour cream
- Black Bean Crunchwrap Supreme includes black beans, tomatoes & lettuce. Order with NO sour cream or nacho cheese sauce. Ordering “Fresco Style” will automatically remove the dairy and add pico de gallo.
- Nachos Bellgrande includes nachos, tomatoes & pinto beans. Order “Fresco Style” and with NO beef. Substitute with black beans or more pinto beans… Optional: add onion & red sauce for no cost. Add additional beans, jalapeno peppers, lettuce, potatoes and/or seasoned rice for an additional cost.
- Black Bean Chalupa includes tomato & lettuce. Order with NO cheese or sour cream.
- Power Menu Veggie Bowl includes black beans, seasoned rice, guacamole, lettuce & pico de gallo. Order with NO cheese, sour cream or avocado ranch dressing. Ordering “Fresco Style” will automatically remove the dairy and add additional pico de gallo.
- Black Beans is a bowl of black beans
- Seasoned Rice is a bowl of seasoned rice
- Black Beans & Rice is a bowl of black beans and seasoned rice
- Chips and… Guacamole, Salsa or Pico De Gallo
- Pintos N Cheese includes pinto beans & red sauce. Order with NO cheese. Add guacamole(optional)
- Hash Brown
- Cinnamon Twists = sweet treat yum!
- Green Chili Sauce
- Green Tomatillo Sauce
- Mexican Pizza Sauce
- Red Sauce
- Salsa Del Sol
- Diablo Sauce Packet
- Hot Sauce Packet
- Mild Sauce Packet
Taco Bell Vegan FAQ
Are Nacho Fries Vegan?
While these are currently not on the menu, the short answer is yes, the Nacho Fries at Taco Bell are vegan. Just make sure to order them WITHOUT the Nacho Cheese dipping sauce. Long Answer: Are Taco Bell’s Nacho Fries Vegan?
Does Taco Bell Have Beyond Meat?
Taco Bell does not have Beyond Meat. At least not yet, but according to a recent announcement, Beyond Meat may be on the Taco Bell menu soon.
Are the refried beans at Taco Bell vegan?
Yes! Here is the official ingredient list from Taco Bell’s website: Pinto beans, soybean oil, seasoning (salt, sugar, spice, beet powder (VC), natural flavors, sunflower oil, maltodextrin, corn flour, trehalose, modified cornstarch). [certified vegan]
Does Taco Bell offer Potatoes?
Yes! Currently, Taco Bell offers the Spicy Potatoes but no longer carries the Nacho Fries.
Is the Chalupa shell vegan?
Yes! If you look at Taco Bell’s allergen information, the Chalupa shell ingredients list says, “Certified Vegan.” You will have to substitute the beef for beans and order NO sour cream or cheese.
Which ingredients are “Certified Vegan?”
Chalupa Shell, Crunchy Taco Shell, Soft Taco Shell, Nacho Chips, Hash Brown, Black Beans, Seasoned Refried Beans, Seasoned Rice, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Jalapeno Peppers, Onions, Guacamole, Cinnamon Twist, Hash Browns
Are Taco Bell Freezes vegan?
When it comes to sugary drinks or any sugar really, unless the ingredients list specifically states its from a vegan source or from cane sugar, we do like to say that it is considered an, “accidently vegan,” item. If this is a non-issue for you, then yes, they are vegan! Please see our disclaimers page for more information.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 125 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Ryan’s Pick: Bean Burritos “Fresco Style”. To be very specific, 3 Bean Burritos “Fresco Style” with Fire Sauce. As mentioned above, this is probably my favorite road trip quick stop meal. Pro Tip – Don’t try to open up the burrito to add the sauce, just squeeze out a bit onto the end of each bite. And bonus add-ins that make it even better is the seasoned rice and potatoes.
Jen’s Pick: Bean Burrito “Fresco Style,” with 2 packets of Mild Sauce/burrito will always be my go-to with Cinnamon Twists.
- If you’d like to check out Taco Bell’s full menu, head over their Official Menu Page
- Information pulled from Taco Bell’s Ingredient Page
- Taco Bell not quite what you’re looking for? Check out Del Taco, Chipotle or one of our other over 120 Cheat Sheets for popular chain restaurants.
- We are working tirelessly to make sure all the information contained in VeggL is accurate and up to date. However, sometimes options change. If you notice a change at a restaurant that we need to know about, let us know
Taco Bell Update Log
- Potatoes are back, and Beyond Meat may be coming soon! (1/15/21)
- Nacho Fries are Back! (1/1/2021)
- Taco Bell updated their menu August 2020. We have reflected their changes