Beyond frustrated is my new sentiment for Del Taco since our vegan options with Beyond Meat are no longer available.
Yes, you read that right. If you were not aware, Del Taco has removed their Beyond Meat menu items. We have requested information from them to understand why. They specifically said it was from the lack of demand. You can read more here.
For now, you do have options but we’re back to just beans being the bulk of our food. Pay attention to the modifications as well.
Let’s see what your vegan options at Del Taco are…
Vegan Options at Del Taco
- The Del Taco (crunchy or soft). Substitute beef with slow-cooked beans. Order with NO cheese. Top with Vegan Sauces from below and/or add guacamole … comes with crisp lettuce, fresh diced tomatoes in a crunchy taco shell or warm tortilla.
- Value Taco (crunchy or soft). Substitute beef with slow-cooked beans. Order with NO cheese … comes in a crunchy corn tortilla or warm tortilla with crisp lettuce.
- 8 Layer Veggie Burrito. Order with NO cheese or sour cream … comes with slow-cooked beans, cilantro lime rice, guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce and red sauce.
- Crunchtada Tostada. Order with NO cheese. Optional: Add guacamole. Top with a drizzle of one of the sauces below.
- Fresh House-Made Guacamole
- Chips & Fresh Guacamole
- Crinkle Cut Fries*
- Pico De Gallo
- Green Sauce
- Red Sauce
- Salsa Casera
- Taco Sauce
- California Chili Sauce
- Bean & Cheese Burrito Kid Loco Meal. Order with NO cheese. Includes a kid’s Bean Burrito, small fries and kid’s drink.
- Hashbrown Sticks … comes with 5 crispy hashbrown potato sticks.
*As with any restaurant that is not 100% vegan or does not offer a designated cooking space for their vegan options, cross-contamination can occur and fryers/grills may be shared with animal products. You can choose what your level of comfort is with these potential issues.
Del Taco Vegan FAQ
Is Beyond Meat No Longer Available?
As of May 2023, it appears to no longer be on menus across the United States. It’s no longer on their website menu as well. We have reached out to Del Taco asking why. They specifically said it was from the lack of demand. You can read more here.
This means the Beyond Guacamole Taco, Beyond Taco, Epic Beyond Fresh Guacamole Burrito, Beyond 8 Layer Burrito, Beyond Meat Taco Salad with Fresh Guac and Loaded Nachos (with Beyond Meat) are no longer options you can order at Del Taco.
Does Del Taco offer a vegan Cilantro sauce?
They did and no longer do. We have removed the Cilantro Sauce from our vegan options. The only cilantro style sauce they currently have is a dressing, which contains eggs & dairy.
Are the churros vegan at Del Taco?
No. The Cinnamon Churros contain milk and eggs. They’re vegetarian, but not vegan.
Is rice at Del Taco vegan?
There is a lot of conflicting information regarding the rice at Del Taco regarding whether or not the rice is cooked in lard. From what we have been told, the rice at Del Taco is vegan.
Maybe it was cooked with lard in the past? We can’t say, but currently, that is not the case.
Are the beans at Del Taco vegan?
Yes! Both the Black Beans and the slow-cooked pinto beans are vegan!
April 2022 update: The Black Beans are no longer available.
Is Del Taco’s Secret Sauce Vegan?
No. Del Taco’s Secret Sauce contains egg and dairy.
Can I eat WFPB (Whole Food Plant Based) at Del Taco?
It’s a stretch but the best you could do is order the Signature Taco Salad with NO black beans, seasoned beef, cheddar cheese, sour cream or tortilla chips. What you will be left with is romaine & iceberg lettuce, salsa casera, salsa and cilantro.
Unfortunately, the black beans, pinto beans, flour tortilla, taco shell and rice all contain oil. I have yet to find information on if the guacamole contains oil.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 400 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. The days of frantically searching for what you can eat when traveling or out with friends and family are over!
Jen’s Pick: My top pick is the Beyond Avocado Taco! I’m also a big fan of tostadas. While theirs is very simple once you ask for no cheese, I still like them–with a drizzle of sauce on top. I like crunch!
Ryan’s Pick: Both of the new Beyond Burritos are excellent. If I had to pick one, it would be the Beyond Original Mex, but they’re close. Be cautious of getting both of them at once though. It’s A LOT of food!
Update: As of May 2023, Del Taco is no longer carrying Beyond Meat.
More Links and Info:
- To see Del Taco’s full menu, head over to Del Taco’s Web Site
- Craving Mexican but not seeing what you want? We also have Vegan Option Guides for Taco Bell and Chipotle and over 175 other popular chain restaurants
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up-to-date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!