When it comes to the vegan options at McDonald’s we can’t really say ‘we’re lovin’ it’. When a Hamburger without the patty is one of the best vegan options you have to choose from, you’re not in a great situation. You should really only be referencing this cheat sheet in case of emergency. Not even the fries, normally a vegan safe haven at fast food joints, at McDonald’s are vegan.
McDonald’s recently announced their McPlant platform which is planning to add plant-based options to their global menus in 2021. This may include a vegan burger and even chicken substitutes. Here’s to hoping that some of those options find their way to US locations soon!
VeggL Quick Order
In line and need to order like, NOW?!? Here are the best vegan options at McDonald’s that we recommend:
- Side Salad with either Neumann’s Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette or Fat Free French. This is one of the only things you can order without making drastic modifications.
- Sliced Apples or Baked Apple Pie. Just need a quick snack to hold you over? If so, grab one of the apple options.
- Combine the two by putting apple slices on your side salad.
Vegan Options at McDonald’s
We are fully aware that suggesting for you order a burger with no burger is not exactly ideal. But, at the moment, it’s still one of the only options available.
- Pico Guacamole Burger. Advise NO beef patty, NO cheese and sub BBQ sauce for buttermilk ranch dressing.
- Hamburger. Advise NO beef patty. Ask for lettuce to be added.
- Side Salad with Vegan Dressing below. Another option would be to ask if you can have a side of guacamole & pico (may charge extra) to top or sweet & sour sauce. You can also use the greens to add substance to a burger option above.
Vegan Dressings & Sauces
- Newman’s Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Newman’s Own Fat Free French
- Sweet & Sour
- Sliced Apples
- Baked Apple Pie
McDonald’s Vegan Breakfast Options
- Fruit & Maple Oatmeal. Advise NO cream.
*The French Fries & Hashbrowns are NOT vegan-friendly! The US does NOT serve the Vegan Burger you may be seeing in other countries.
McDonald’s Vegan FAQ
Are McDonald’s fries vegan?
No! The fries are (at least here in the States) cooked in Beef Fat. Same goes for the hash browns.
Are McDonald’s pancakes vegan?
No. The pancakes at McDonald’s contain both eggs and milk.
VeggL Cheat Sheet Guides
- Not quite what you were wanting to eat? VeggL has over 115 Cheat Sheets Guides for popular chain restaurants including other fast food locations like Burger King and Wendy’s
- If you’d like to see McDonald’s Full Menu, head over to their Official Menu Page
- We are working tirelessly to make sure all the information contained in VeggL is accurate and up to date. However, sometimes options change. If you notice a change at a restaurant that we need to know about, let us know