When it comes to the vegan options at McDonald’s we can’t really say ‘we’re lovin’ it’. When a Hamburger without the patty is one of the best vegan options you have to choose from, you’re not in a great situation. You should really only be referencing this cheat sheet in case of emergency.
Not even the fries, normally a vegan safe haven at fast food joints, at McDonald’s are vegan.
McDonald’s recently announced their McPlant platform which is planning to add plant-based options to their global menus in 2021. This may include a vegan burger and even chicken substitutes. Here’s to hoping that some of those options find their way to US locations soon!
Beyond Update (2/26/21) – McDonalds and Beyond Meat have officially announced that they have signed a new deal that will be bringing Beyond Meat to a McDonalds near you sooner rather than later.
Vegan Options at McDonald’s
VeggL Quick Order
In line and need to order like, NOW?!? Here are the best vegan options at McDonald’s that we recommend:
- If it’s breakfast time, order the Fruit & Maple Oatmeal with NO cream.
- If you just need a quick snack to hold you over, order some Apple Slices.
We are fully aware that suggesting for you order a burger with no burger is not exactly ideal. But, at the moment, it’s still one of the only options available.
- Hamburger. Advise NO beef patty. Ask for lettuce to be added.
Vegan Dressings & Sauces
- Sweet & Sour
- Sliced Apples
McDonald’s Vegan Breakfast Options
- Fruit & Maple Oatmeal. Contains oatmeal, diced apples, cranberry raisin blend and light cream. Order with NO cream.
*The French Fries & Hashbrowns are NOT vegan-friendly! The US does NOT serve the Vegan Burger you may be seeing in other countries.
McDonald’s Vegan FAQ
Are McDonald’s fries vegan?
No! The fries are (at least here in the States) cooked in Beef Fat. Same goes for the hash browns. If you’re living in the UK and have found this page, then go ahead and order some fries. They’re vegan.
Are McDonald’s pancakes vegan?
No. The pancakes at McDonald’s contain both eggs and milk.
Where did McDonalds side salad go?
We’re not sure! In early 2020, McDonald’s removed all of their salads. If they bring them back, we will update this page.
Are McDonalds Apple Pies Vegan?
We currently categorize McDonalds Apple Pies as not vegan. McDonalds Apple Pies contain L-Cysteine as a dough conditioner. To the best of our knowledge the L-Cysteine used in their Apple Pies come from duck feathers. (Read more about L-Cysteine)
In addition to the L-Cysteine, they are made with white sugar. White sugar is a deal breaker for many ethical vegans.
Now, if you’re a plant based eater and you’re ok with both of those issues, then by all means. We’re just here to provide as much info as possible.
Can I eat WFPB (Whole Food Plant Based) at McDonalds?
Yes. You can order the the Fruit & Maple Oatmeal with NO light cream. Depending on where you are in your WFPB journey, you can also order without brown sugar and/or the cranberry raisin blend. Your only other WFPB option is Sliced Apples.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 125 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
- Not quite what you were wanting to eat? VeggL has over 115 Cheat Sheets Guides for popular chain restaurants including other fast food locations like Burger King and Wendy’s
- If you’d like to see McDonald’s Full Menu, head over to their Official Menu Page
- We are working tirelessly to make sure all the information contained in VeggL is accurate and up to date. However, sometimes options change. If you notice a change at a restaurant that we need to know about, let us know