Sonic isn’t exactly vegan-friendly, but there are a few things you can grab if you find yourself at one.
If you’re okay with some potential cross-contamination with fried items, then fries and tots will be the easiest things you can order.
If you’re not really hungry and want to get something fun, the slushes and many of the add-ins are vegan.
Outside of that, if you’re up for the challenge you can make-your-own veggie sandwich with a random assortment of bread and veggies. Would be awesome to see Sonic jump on the vegan burger wave, but we’re not there yet. In the meantime, here is everything vegan at Sonic Drive-In.
I would like to also mention that Sonic’s customer service has been one of the worst experiences of customer service we have dealt with.
Vegan Options at Sonic Drive-In
Snacks & Sides
^We have not been able to confirm if the dough conditioners/enzymes used in the pretzel are vegan-friendly.
*Share a fryer with non-vegan items.
You choose your level of comfort.
- Soft Pretzel Twist.^ SUB cheese packet with yellow mustard, ketchup or relish … comes sprinkled with pretzel salt.
Create Your Own Sandwich?
Sonic does NOT offer a vegan sandwich but if you really are stuck eating here, you could create your own.
-> We have not been able to confirm if dough conditioners/enzymes used in the breads are vegan-friendly. You choose your comfort level with these options.
- Bagel (select locations)
- Hamburger Bun
- Avocado (select locations)
- Hatch Green Chiles (select locations)
- Grilled Onions* (select locations)
- Diced Onion
- Sauerkraut (select locations)
- Sport Peppers (select locations)
- BBQ Sauce
- Yellow Mustard
- Spicy Brown Mustard
- Picante Sauce
A Couple Other Food Items
- FRITOS Corn Chips
- Tree Top Applesauce
- Lemon Slush (real fruit)
- Lime Slush (real fruit)
- Strawberry (real fruit)
- Tree Top Applesauce
- Minute Maid 100% Apple Juice Box
Certain SONIC® fresh bread products may have different ingredients because SONIC® Drive-Ins purchase from local bakeries whose ingredients and allergens may vary.
Ingredients in the following bread products include wheat, milk or egg in any combination and other allergens: hamburger buns, wheat buns, hot dog buns and Texas toast. – Sonic Allergen Guide
**WARNING: Fried foods may be exposed to gluten and allergens. Fryer oil may come in contact with items containing milk, egg, fish, shellfish, soy, wheat and gluten because fried items are not always fried in designated stations. – Sonic Allergen Guide
*As with any restaurant that is not 100% vegan or does not offer a designated cooking space for their vegan options, cross-contamination can occur and fryers/grills may be shared with animal products. You can choose what your level of comfort is with these potential issues.
Sonic Drive-In Vegan FAQ
Are Sonic Cinnastacks vegan?
The Cinnabon Cinnastacks at Sonic contain both egg and milk and therefore are not vegan. They are also fried which adds cross-contamination issues.
Are Sonic’s Onion Rings Vegan?
No. They used to be but now contain milk. Their most recent allergen guide is from the fall of 2022.
Is Sonic’s Signature Sauce Vegan?
No. Sonic’s signature sauce contains egg.
Are Sonic’s French Toast Sticks Vegan?
No. Sonic’s French Toast sticks contain dairy.
Does Sonic’s Texas Toast contain dairy?
Yes. Sonic’s Texas Toast contains dairy. It is NOT vegan.
Is Sonic’s Veggie Burger Vegan?
No! Sonic’s Veggie Burger Patty contains dairy.
Is Sonic’s Buffalo Sauce Vegan?
No. Sonic’s buffalo sauce contains dairy.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 400 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
- Sonic was founded in 1953 (I had no idea Sonic had been around that long) in Shawnee, Oklahoma. Sonic currently has almost 3500 locations all across the US.
- If you’d like to see all the options on Sonic’s menu, check out Sonic Drive-In’s Full Menu.
- Not quite what you’re looking for? VeggL has over 215 Cheat Sheets for popular chain restaurants including other fast food locations like Carl’s Jr and Burger King.
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up-to-date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!