When we reach out to chains inquiring about their vegan options, rarely do we hear back the same day. But, that’s exactly what happened when we reached out to Freddy’s.
What we learned was cross-contamination is an issue with basically all their menu items sharing the same grill and fryer oil. While that is sure to turn off many vegans, it’s not exactly uncommon for restaurants to share cooking surfaces.
Having said that, the veggie burger can be ordered vegan with some modifications (details below) and the fries are vegan if you’re ok with them sharing frying oil.
Freddy’s Vegan Options
- Veggie Burger* (Order with NO cheese and NO Thousand Island Dressing) – The patty itself is vegan (full ingredients can be found in the FAQ below) and the burger includes lettuce, tomato and onion on a lightly oiled and toasted bun.
Freddy’s re: the bun – “the hamburger buns are manufactured in the same facility as items that contain dairy. We do lightly oil and toast our buns; however, the oil used is also free from animal products and by-products.”
*According to Freddy’s Allergen Page some Texas locations use a veggie burger that contains egg. Contact restaurant to confirm.
- Freddy’s Fries**
- Baked Lay’s Original
- Crackers (the ones that go with the chili)
**The fries are cooked in the same in the same soybean oil as chicken strips and onion rings (gluten and whey). Decide for yourself if this is a dealbreaker for you.
- Freddy’s Seasoning
- BBQ Sauce
- Sauteed Onions
- Hot Dog Buns
- Hamburger Buns
- Rye Bread
Freddy’s Vegan FAQ
Does Freddy’s have a Vegan Burger?
Freddy’s has a veggie burger that can be ordered vegan with a few modifications. Make sure to order the sandwich with no cheese and no thousand island dressing. Also be aware that the burger is cooked on a shared surface so cross-contamination is an issue.
Here is a ingredients list for the veggie burger patty that we received from Freddy’s:
HYDRATED TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE (WATER, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CARAMEL COLOR), COOKED BLACK BEANS (BLACK BEANS, WATER), COOKED BROWN RICE (BROWN RICE, WATER), ONIONS, EXPELLER PRESSED CANOLA OIL, CORN, WHEAT GLUTEN, RED PEPPERS, ARROWROOT POWDER, JALAPENO PEPPERS, CHILI POWDER, VEGAN NATURAL BEEF FLAVOR (YEAST EXTRACT, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, NATURAL FLAVORING) FLAXSEED MEAL, GARLIC, SALT, CILANTRO, BLACK PEPPER.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 140 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Ryan’s Picks: We’ve never been to a Freddy’s. To be honest, before researching this page I assumed there were no vegan options so we never even checked them out. Now I’m looking forward to giving their veggie burger a try!
Jen’s Picks: N/A
- For a look at Freddy’s complete menu head over to Freddy’s Menu Page
- Some information on this page was pulled directly from Freddy’s Allergen Page. The rest was acquired by Freddy’s Hospitality Team who were incredibly helpful!
- If the vegan options at Freddy’s isn’t exactly what you were looking for, VeggL has Cheat Sheets for over 120 popular chain restaurants including McDonald’s and Burger King
- We are working tirelessly to make sure all the information contained in VeggL is accurate and up to date. However, sometimes options change. If you notice a change at a restaurant that we need to know about, let us know