Café Rio is a Mexican grill with some great vegan options. Café Rio’s are located primarily on the western half of the US (along with some spots in the DC area).
It’s a create-your-own type restaurant similar to Chipotle.
On the plus side, you can build your own tostadas which is pretty unique compared to similar competitors. On the minus side, both of the large tortillas (flour and wheat) used to make burritos are not vegan (contain dairy).
Don’t let that bum you out though, there are plenty of options to make an amazing meal.
Vegan Options at Cafe Rio
VeggL Quick Order
In Line at Cafe Rio and need to be ready to order ASAP?!? Here are the best vegan options at Cafe Rio that we recommend:
Your best bet is to create your own salad, tostada, tacos or enchiladas. (Both 12-inch tortillas are not vegan so burritos are a no-go).
Here are two examples:
- Create Your Own Tacos – Start with a 6 inch Corn Tortilla, then add either Black or Pinto Beans (or both!), pico, lettuce and guacamole.
- Create Your Own Tostada – Start with a Tostada Shell, then add either Black or Pinto Beans (or both!), pico, lettuce and guacamole.
- Chips & Salsa
- Chips & Guacamole
- 6-inch Corn Tortilla
- Tortilla Chips
- Tortilla Strips
- Tostada Shell
- Black Beans
- Pinto Beans
Sauces & Dressings
- Pineapple Mango Salsa
Toppings & Specials
- Lime Wedge
- Pico De Gallo
- Salsa Fresca
- Mint Lemonade
- Southwest Lemonade
- Strawberry Lemonade
Per Cafe Rio Website: Vegans should avoid our meats, cheese, sour cream, rice, and creamy tomatillo dressing. Our tortillas, vegetables, beans, salsas, chips and guacamole are vegetarian & vegan.
Cafe Rio Vegan FAQ
Are Cafe Rio Tortillas Vegan?
Cafe Rio has five different varieties of tortilla. The 6 inch corn tortilla is vegan. The flour and wheat tortillas, both in the 12 inch and 6 inch versions, contain dairy and are not vegan.
Café Rio also has a tostada shell that you can choose in place of a tortilla and it is vegan.
Are Café Rio Beans Vegan?
Both the Black Beans and Pinto Beans at Café Rio are vegan.
Is Café Rio Rice Vegan?
No, Café Rio’s Cilantro Lime Rice contains dairy per their allergen page and is not vegan friendly per their veggie nutrition information.
Is the Café Rio Horchata Vegan?
The Horchata at Café Rio contains dairy and is not vegan.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 300 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Ryan’s Pick: We’ve lived in 7 different states, but all along the eastern half of the US. To be honest, before researching this page, I’d never heard of a Cafe Rio. I did read some great reviews though and can’t wait to try one out the next chance I get.
Jen’s Pick: I can update if and when we ever come across one!
More Links and Info:
- Want to see Cafe Rio’s full menu? Head over to the Cafe Rio’s Menu Page
- Information pulled directly from Cafe Rio’s Nutritional & Allergen Info
- Not seeing exactly what you wanted? We also have vegan guides for other locations like Moes and Del Taco as well as over 175 other popular chain restaurants on our Vegan Guides at Restaurants Main Page
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up to date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!