After reaching out to Baja Fresh in 2021 and 2022, only to be told they have no vegan options and would not give us any ingredient information to make an informed decision for ourselves, we finally had our questions answered. We now have a vegan guide with cross-contamination information for Baja Fresh.
I want to reiterate they will NOT say they are vegan-friendly so if you go in asking for their vegan options, you more than likely will be told they have none. So thank goodness for this guide.
Let’s see what your options are!
Vegan Options at Baja Fresh
* Asterisked items share a fryer or grill with animals. Details are important and are below.
—> Making it a Meal will add a drink and your choice of Pronto Guacamole or Queso with Chips*. Obviously, you will pick Guacamole. Baja Fresh does not offer a vegan queso or cheese in general.
- Fuego Impossible* Burrito. Order with NO cheese, sour cream or diablo salsa … comes with Impossible meat*, guacamole, black beans, salsa 6 chiles, pico de gallo, pickled jalapenos and shredded lettuce.
- Baja Burrito with your choice of Impossible meat* or Roasted Veggies*. Order with NO cheese … comes with pico de gallo and guacamole.
- Mexicano Burrito with your choice of Impossible Meat* or Roasted Veggies*, your choice of Black, Pinto or a mix of Beans, and your choice of hot or mild salsa … comes with Baja rice* and an onion & cilantro mix.
- Burrito Ultimo with your choice of Impossible Meat* or Roasted Veggies*. Order with NO cheese or sour cream … comes with roasted veggies* (so if you order the roasted veggies you will have extra but if you wanted a veggie/Impossible meat combo, this might be for you) and salsa baja.
- Diablo Burrito with your choice of Impossible Meat* or Roasted Veggies* and your choice of Black, Pinto or a mix of Beans. Order with NO cheese … comes with spicy diablo sauce, Baja rice* and an onion & cilantro mix.
- Veggie Burrito with your choice of Black or Pinto Beans or a mix of Beans. Order with NO cheese or sour cream … comes with roasted veggies*, beans, lettuce and pico de gallo.
- Impossible* Taco Combo with your choice of Black or Pinto Beans. Order with cheese on the tacos or beans … comes with 3 warm soft corn tacos with Impossible meat, shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole and salsa baja.
- Impossible* Bowl. Order with NO sour cream … comes with Impossible meat*, rice, roasted veggies*, avocado, pico de gallo and tortilla strips*.
- Fajitas with your choice of Impossible Meat* or Roasted Veggies* and your choice of Black, Pinto or a mix of Beans. Order with NO sour cream or cheese on the beans … comes with roasted veggies*, Baja rice*, guacamole and pico de gallo. Comes with warm corn or flour tortillas. You choose.
Baja Fresh offers 3 different salads that include either of the 3 animal meat options but NOT the Impossible meat. Each Baja Fresh is individually owned and operated and may or may not approve the substitution for Impossible meat.
The only dressing that may be vegan is the Vinaigrette. Until we find out ask when ordering (it may contain honey). If it is, choose one of the salsas to top your salad with.
- Baja Ensalada. Ask if the Impossible meat can be SUB’d. Order with NO cheese … comes with lettuce, pico de gallo and tortilla strips.
- Tostada Salad with your choice of Black or Pinto Beans. Ask if the Impossible meat can be SUB’d. Order with NO cheese or sour cream … comes with lettuce, beans, guacamole and pico de gallo in a crispy flour tortilla shell.
- Chili Lime Salad. Ask if the Impossible meat can be SUB’d. Order with NO cheese … comes with greens & kale, pico de gallo, onion, bell pepper, jicama, tortilla strips and topped with avocado.
Sides For One
- Chips* and Salsa. Choose your favorite salsa.
- Chips* and Pronto Guacamole (3oz)
- Side of Black Beans. Order with NO cheese
- Side of Pinto Beans. Order with NO cheese
- Baja Rice* & Beans Plate. Choose Black, Pinto or Mixed Beans. Order with NO cheese.
- Chips* and Salsa (8oz). Choose your favorite salsa.
- Chip* and Guacamole (8oz)
- Rice* and Beans Plate. Choose Black, Pinto or Mixed Beans. Order with NO cheese.
- Mango Salsa (mild)
- Pico De Gallo (medium)
- Salsa Baja (medium)
- Salsa Verde (medium)
- Six Chiles Salsa (hot)
- Molcajete Salsa (hot)
*As with any restaurant that is not 100% vegan or does not offer a designated cooking space for their vegan options, cross-contamination can occur and fryers/grills may be shared with animal products. You can choose what your level of comfort is with these potential issues. Impossible meat has a dedicated section of a shared grill with dedicated utensils. Grilled/roasted veggies are cooked on a “clean grill” but it is the shared one. The tortilla chips and rice share a fryer with fish.
Baja Fresh Vegan FAQ
Is Baja Rice Vegan at Baja Fresh?
The ingredients are vegan; however, the Baja Rice shares a fryer with their fish.
Is Baja Fresh’s Diablo Sauce/Salsa Vegan?
No! Baja Fresh’s Diablo sauce contains egg.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 300 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
More Links and Info:
- Want to see all the menu items at Baja Fresh? Check out their official menu page.
- Information was put together by using Baja Fresh’s Allergen Guide and a Baja Fresh Customer Service Rep.
- Not quite what you were looking for? VeggL has Vegan Guides for over 185 popular chain restaurants including other locations like Chipotle and Moe’s
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up to date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!