There are not many vegan options at Waffle House… but that should not surprise you if you have ever been to a Waffle House. For starters, everything is cooked on the same grill so cross-contamination is going to be an issue with almost everything.
We have, however, discovered a couple options that may be able to work in a pinch.
Vegan Options at Waffle House
- Hash Browns*
- Sliced Tomatoes
Hash Brown Toppings
- Sauteed Onions (Smothered)
- Grilled Tomatoes (Diced)
- Jalapeno Peppers (Peppered)
- Grilled Mushrooms (Capped)
- Garden Salad – Salad comes with Iceberg and Romaine Lettuce, Shredded Carrots, Cabbage and Diced Tomatoes. It appears their dressings come in packets. The Fat Free Italian and Balsamic Vinaigrette should be vegan but we suggest double checking the packets ingredients.
Toast: While researching for Waffle House, we noticed a lot of information on the internet proclaiming the toast at Waffle House to be vegan. According to the Waffle House Full Nutritionals Sheet, the toast at Waffle House (including the white, wheat, raisin toast & texas toast) contain milk and are not vegan. We have emailed them and will update this page when we know more information.
*Cross-contamination will occur on the grill since it is shared.
Waffle House Vegan FAQ
Are Waffle House Grits Vegan?
The Grits at Waffle House contain eggs and milk. They are not vegan.
Are Waffle House Waffles Vegan?
No. The Waffles at Waffle House contain eggs and milk.
Are Waffle House Hash Browns Vegan?
The Hash Browns at Waffle House are vegan. Cross contamination is a real concern with the hash browns, but if you’re ok with that, they are vegan. You can order them with Sautéed Onions, Grilled Tomatoes, Jalapeno Peppers or Grilled Mushrooms.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 200 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Ryan’s Pick: I’m a little more accepting of cross-contamination issues than Jen is. Having said that, the hash browns at Waffle House are insanely good. Smothered and Peppered is the way to go.
Jen’s Pick: I have yet to visit a Waffle House since I’ve been vegan but will update my thoughts if I do.
More Links and Info:
- Want to see Waffle House’s full menu? Head over to the Waffle House’s Menu Page
- Information pulled directly from Waffle House’s Full Nutritionals Sheet
- Not seeing exactly what you wanted? We also have vegan guides for other breakfast locations like Denny’s and IHOP as well as over 130 other popular chain restaurants on our Vegan Guides at Restaurants Main Page
Disclaimer: We are working tirelessly to make sure all the information contained in VeggL is as accurate as possible and up to date. However, sometimes options change. If you notice a change at a restaurant that we need to know about, let us know. VeggL is not responsible for out of date or incorrect information.