There are barely any vegan options at Smashburger. In fact, up until June 2022 they almost seemed to be going out of their way to not be vegan friendly.
For instance, they have a whole line of Black Bean burgers, but the Black Bean patty contains milk and egg. Not even any of the buns are vegan.
They have fries, but Smashburger deep fries everything in Beef Tallow. Everything. The fries, the brussel sprouts, tots and sweet potato fries are all fried in the same oil.
But for some reason, they have added 6 vegan milkshakes and are making a big deal about how they are the first fast-casual restaurant to do so. Ummm… so I can get dessert but NO actual food? By the way, you do have to order the milkshakes with NO whipped cream.
Out of all the locations we have on VeggL, Smashburger is competing for the least vegan-friendly chain restaurant.
Smashburger Vegan Options
- Side Salad – If you’re able to order the Side Salad without cheese then this is the only available vegan food option we can find.
-> As of June 24, 2022, the only shakes I can find on their online menu are the ones that contain dairy. Please verify before ordering that you are getting a non-dairy shake. We were made aware that you may see a “featured” section on the online ordering menu with the non-dairy shakes. The couple of locations I looked at did not have a featured section but wanted to add this info in case… it does appear confusing.
Order ALL shakes with NO whipped cream. Flavor options:
- Peanut Butter
- Tangerine Dream
* As with any restaurant that is not 100% vegan or does not offer a designated cooking space for their vegan options, cross-contamination can occur and fryers/grills may be shared with animal products. You can choose what your level of comfort is with these potential issues.
Smashburger Vegan FAQ
Are Smashburger Black Bean Burgers Vegan?
Smashburger has six different varieties of Black Bean Burger and none of them are vegan. The Black Bean Patty itself contains both milk and eggs. In addition to the patties not being vegan, all five varieties of bun at Smashburger contain milk as well.
Are Smashburger Fries Vegan?
No. Smashburger fries all of their fried menu items in beef tallow.
Are Smashburger Brussels Sprouts Vegan?
No. Smashburger fries all of their fried menu items in beef tallow, which includes their brussels sprouts. This means all of their fried items (fries, sweet potato fries, tots and brussels sprouts) aren’t even vegetarian friendly.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 350 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Jen & Ryan’s Pick: We’ve never been to a SmashBurger and currently do not have a location close by to try the new non-dairy shakes.
More Links and Info:
- Want to see Smashburger’s full menu? Head over to the Smashburger’s Menu Page
- Information pulled directly from Smashburger’s Allergen Tool
- Not seeing exactly what you wanted? We also have vegan guides for other burger spots like McDonald’s and Bareburger as well as over 175 other popular chain restaurants on our Vegan Guides at Restaurants Main Page
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up to date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!