21 Day Vegan Keto / IF Challenge | Days 16-21 Just like every challenge post has started, I am not a doctor, nor a nutritionist–just an almost 40 year old lady who created a challenge for herself. NOW… If you have been following along for […]
Tag: Intermittent Fasting
21 Day Vegan Keto / IF Challenge | Days 4-6 Every post is going to have the preface… I am not a doctor nor a nutritionist–just a vegan lady who is challenging herself to 21 days of eating vegan keto & intermittently fasting along the […]
21 Day Vegan Keto / IF Challenge | Days 1-3
First & foremost, thank you for following along! I want to mention I am not a doctor or nutritionist–just a vegan lady who is challenging herself to 21 days of eating vegan keto & intermittently fasting along the way.
If you are not familiar with my challenge details, please read my overview post.
Before getting in to a recap & recipes of Days 1-3, I want to mention that I am already vegan and have been for almost 8 years. I also have played around with intermittent fasting & extended fasting with the longest fast being 50 hours. 50 hours will be close for this challenge but 24 is a big one to get to in order to reach autophagy.
Per the fasting app, LIFEAPPS, autophagy’s definition is, “within 24 hours, your cells are increasingly recycling old components and breaking down misfolded proteins linked to Alzheimer’s and other diseases.” <-This process is important for cellular and tissue rejuvenation.
Now…On To Why You Are Here!
I fasted from dinner the night before leading in to Day 1. The plan was to eat once I hit 24 hours of fasting but I was so busy, my fast extended til 30 hours.
At 7:15pm, I ate my one meal for the day, Fried Cauliflower Rice. On the side, I added:
- 50g Romaine
- 100g Cucumber
- 5g Pickled Sushi Ginger
- 2 servings of gimMe Snacks <-the sesame flavor is my favorite!
This meal was SO quick, delish & filling!
Supplements taken to balance electrolytes(again, more info on my overview challenge post):
- 400mg of Nested Natural Magnesium(it’s vegan!)
- 1 tsp sea salt & 1 tbsp lemon juice in 16oz water
TOTAL NET CARBS : 14.7G
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil. I used Earth Balance
- 1.5 c cauliflower rice. I use frozen
- 2/3 c shelled edamame. I use frozen
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Melt butter in skillet over medium/high heat. Add cauliflower rice, edamame & green onions. If using frozen items, reduce heat to medium & cover for a few minutes to let everything thaw. Return heat to medium/high. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame seeds & salt. Stir well. Let cook for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Could. Not. Sleep.
If you have ever fasted or talked to anyone who has fasted, this is a big side effect of it–NOT sleeping–like being wide awake & crazy dreams when you are sleeping. Around midnight, I did take a 1/2 dose of liquid melatonin. This finally knocked me out but when I take melatonin, I do notice I have a headache in the morning. Coffee & water helped get me started!
First thing in the morning, I did prep the chia seed pudding & pulled a brat out to thaw for later.
Day 2 is a 2MAD day, meaning I’m eating only 2 Meals. My first meal at 2pm & the other at 5.
…is kind of combo
Chia Seed Pudding
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (I really only had blueberries left in my bag)
- 1 Beyond Meat Sausage, Brat; cooked in the pan with nonstick spray
- 1/4 cup Sauerkraut
- 1 tbsp. Mustard
…also drank coffee with 1 tbsp coconut oil
Fried Cauliflower Rice (recipe above), with:
- Cucumber, 183g
- Violife Feta, 1oz
- Pumpkin Seeds, salted & roasted, 28g
- Romaine Lettuce, 100g
Tiny Snack: I give my dogs a tbsp of peanut butter on their dinner & tonight I ate a 1/2 tbsp too. 😉
Supplements taken to balance electrolytes & add micronutrients:
- 1 tsp sea salt & 1 tbsp lemon juice in 16oz water
- 3 Garden of Life, My Kind Organics, Women’s Multi Chews
Overall, I kept a busy day, good on energy but that headache from the morning did not subside–it was mild all day & I did not take any meds for it.
TOTAL NET CARBS : 36.1
Sleep was shotty again. Ugh! But Mr. VeggL decided to put one of the dogs in bed with us too since he hasn’t seen much of them while in football camp. She is who kept waking me up. SMH.
On an awesome note though, I can SEE & FEEL that I’m, a) either losing weight or b) looking less bloated. Either way, that makes me a happy lady!
If you’re following along with my calendar, you know today is a FASTING DAY.
Supplements taken for electrolytes:
- 400mg of Nested Natural Magnesium
- 1 tsp sea salt (sodium), 1/4 tsp NoSalt Original (potassium)& 1 tbsp lemon juice in 28oz water
- 1 tsp sea salt, 1/4tsp NoSalt Original & 1 tbsp lemon juice in 28 oz water
Helpful for the taste->I drink mine with a straw. I could create one container with all of the sea salt & NoSalt for the day but I just can’t handle that much of a salt taste. Wowzers!
Total Electrolytes Drank:
- Sodium 4676.4mg
- Potassium 1310mg
- Magnesium 401.1mg
Overall, had a good day! I did have a slight headache but nothing that really bothered me because my mind has become SO clear and I feel very focused!
TOTAL NET CARBS: 0
TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS: -3.6lbs.
21 Day Vegan Lady Keto Intermittent Fasting Challenge To preface, I am NOT a doctor. I am NOT a nutritionist. This is ONLY an experiment for a vegan lady who struggles to lose weight. This is an experiment of motivation, of pushing myself to be […]