The vegan options at Taco John’s are pretty solid. No plant-based meats are on the menu, but both beans and the flour tortilla are both vegan-friendly.
This means you can easily put together some good options, especially when you include some of the other sides (like the famous Potato Oles*) that are vegan-friendly as well.
Taco John’s Vegan Options
- Super Burrito. Order with NO beef, cheese, or sour cream. SUB with more refried beans … comes with refried beans, onions, mild sauce, diced tomatoes, and shredded lettuce.
- Meat & Potato Burrito. Order with NO beef, nacho cheese, or sour cream. SUB with black beans or refried beans … comes with Taco John’s Potatoes Ole, lettuce, and diced tomatoes.
- Refried Bean Burrito. Order with NO cheese … comes with diced tomatoes and mild sauce.
- Taco Bravo. Order with NO cheese or ground beef. SUB with black beans or more refried beans … comes with a flour tortilla smothered in refried beans wrapped around a crispy corn shell with mild sauce, lettuce, and diced tomatoes. Optional: Add guacamole.
- Crispy or Soft Shell Taco. Order with NO cheese or beef. SUB with black beans or refried beans … comes with a crispy corn shell or soft tortilla with mild sauce, and lettuce.
- Guacamole (cost extra)
- Diced Tomatoes (cost extra)
- Super Hot Sauce
Six Pack and a Pound
Taco John’s offers meal packs that include 6 Tacos (crunchy or soft) plus a pound of their Potatoes Ole’s. Or you can get a mix of the crunchy & soft tacos.
- Nachos* with Guacamole or Salsa.
- Potato Oles.* … round bites of crunchy potato sprinkled with seasoning.
- Potato Oles* with Guacamole or Salsa.
- Refried Beans. Order with NO cheese.
- Black Beans (may not be available at all locations)
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Rice & Beans
- Side Salad with House Salsa or House Dressing. Order with NO cheese.
Dips, Condiments & Dressings
- Creamy Italian Dressing
- House Dressing
- House Salsa
- Mild Sauce
- Pico de Gallo
- Roasted Corn & Pepper Salsa
- Super Hot Sauce
* Fried items are subject to cross-contamination. More specifically, according to Taco John’s Allergen Guide, “Normal kitchen operations involve shared equipment and preparation areas, therefore we cannot eliminate the risk of cross-contact with other allergen-containing ingredients.
For example, Potato Olés® are fried in the same fryer and oil as Chicken Tenders and Mexican Donut Bites.“
You choose your level of comfort.
Taco Johns Vegan FAQ
Are Taco John’s Tortillas Vegan?
Yes, both the Softshell Flour Tortilla and the Street Taco Tortilla are vegan according to Taco John’s Allergen Guide.
Are Taco John’s Potato Oles Vegan?
Yes, but according to Taco John’s Allergen Guide, the Potato Oles are fried in the same fryer and oil as Chicken Tenders and Mexican Donut Bites. You choose whether or not you’re comfortable with that.
Are Taco John’s Beans Vegan?
Yes, both the black beans and refried beans at Taco John’s are cooked with no animal products. However, by default, the refried beans are served with cheese so just make sure to order those beans (either as a side or on the bean burrito) without cheese.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 400 vegan guides for restaurants, airports, sports venues and theme parks. Get unlimited access to all our guides with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
More Links and Info
- If you’d like to see Taco John’s entire menu, head over to their Official Menu Page
- Information for this guide was pulled from Taco John’s Allergen Guide and directly from their Customer Service
- Not quite what you’re looking for? VeggL has vegan guides for hundreds of locations including other popular Mexican fast food chains like Taco Bell and Del Taco
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up to date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!