Vegan Mediterranean Salad with chickpeas
I promise this is not going to be an entire post dedicated to Violife’s Feta Cheese but I would like to take just a moment to profess my love for this delicious Vegan Cheese. It’s what puts this Vegan Mediterranean Salad over the top!
To Be Honest, It’s Where This Recipe Came From!
Since the day I tried Violife’s Feta, I have been wanting to put it on everything but realized it really needs a proper backdrop.
So, I Started Doing Research
What is a proper Mediterranean Salad? What greens do they use? …dressings? I had so many questions as I really wanted to make this as authentic as I could.
My research lead me to discovering that their salads are not full of leafy greens like ours do in the U.S. *Shock Face* …as my whole idea of what a salad is has evolved from iceberg lettuce to bowls full of leafy greens! From my understanding, to order this style of salad there, look for menu item that say, “Field Greens.”
What do their traditional Mediterranean Salads look like then?
Let Me Show You!
This recipe SO much better than I could have imagined, so much so, I have craved it weekly since I created it. The greatest part of our recipe is it contains zero oil in the dressing, is full of micronutrients, protein, raw veggies & flavor!
Vegan Mediterranean Salad with Chickpeas
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp maple syrup
- 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 2 plum size tomatoes or 1 medium size
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 4 kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup red onon, sliced half moons (optional if you like raw onion)
- 1 oz Violife Feta Cheese or other feta style vegan cheese
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches oregano, dried
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients except for water. First add in 1 tbsp water continue to whisk. Should be like a standard dressing(not too runny). If it appears to be too thick, add the other 1/2 tbsp water & whisk. Set aside
- Chop tomatoes & cucumber in to bit-size chunks. Cut red onion in to half moons(if using--I did not as I'm not a fan of raw onion being this pronounced on a salad) On a large plate, spread out chickpeas. Add chunks of tomato, cucumber & onion(if using). Drizzle with dressing. Chop kalalmata olives & place all around the plate. Place 1oz chunk of feta cheese on top of vegetables. Sprinkle with black pepper, salt & lastly, oregano. *Note: I used 2 pinches of salt because there is zero salt in the dressing. Omit if desired* :: Best served fresh ::
I hope you ‘crave’ this recipe weekly just like I do. When you make it, don’t forget to tag us on social media!
@veggl_veganeats on Instagram
@VeggL on Facebook
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 400 vegan guides for restaurants, airports, sports venues and theme parks. Get unlimited access to all our guides with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!