How many of you have ordered General Tso’s Tofu at a restaurant, drooled over every bite, and then left with a heavy tummy or even questioning if there was any meat in there? That is if you can find a vegan version at all (not even P.F. Chang’s has one)
Mr. VeggL and I LOVE General Tso’s Tofu, so much so, that as soon as we moved to Georgia from Pennyslvania, I was on the hunt for where we would eventually be ordering from. What restaurants are close by? Which ones are Vegan Friendly?
If you’ve moved, as a vegan, to another city or state, you understand the need to find what Vegan Friendly Restaurants are in your new area–basically, as soon as you get there!
Fast Forward A Couple Months…
in to us having moved. I haven’t found anywhere close that offers a vegan version of General Tso’s Tofu. There are a couple places I could ask but based off of previous vegan reviews, I already question my trust in them. No Bueno! Over the past 7 years, I have played around with “thrown-together,” General Tso’s recipes but never got it quite right or even wrote down a recipe until recently.
The Greatest Parts Of This Recipe
It is VERY LOW OIL(no heavy tummy),
THE TOFU HAS A “CRUNCH,”
YOU CAN CONTROL THE SPICINESS
YOU KNOW WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN IT!
Vegan General Tso's Tofu
- Cutting Board
- Tofu Press or items to press tofu(papertowel, kitchen towel, heavy items to sit on top)
- Cookie Sheet
- Mixing Bowl, Pyrex Bowl or Gallon Size Zip Loc Bag
- Large Sauce Pan
- Measuring Spoons
- 2 blocks Extra Firm Tofu, pressed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp oil - I use Avocado Oil Other High Smoke Point Oils: Sesame, Coconut or melted Vegan Butter
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoison sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce I like Huh Fong Foods brand
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar I use Brown Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
Press Tofu: Take Tofu out of package & Rinse. Either Press with a Tofu Press OR Use These Instructions
- Lay a paper towel on a kitchen towel.
- Place tofu on one end of the paper towel and fold over...
- then fold over the kitchen towel.
- Next I find a few heavy items that I can balance on this small rectangular towel. We want to create a pressure so the water from within the tofu presses out without smooshing the tofu to pieces. For me, I like placing a small cutting board on top then balancing a heavy pan, pot, bananas and even a wine bottle. Press for at least 30 minutes...longer is better. Check on it periodically to make sure it doesn't start to lean to a side too much. Re-balance.
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees then Cut Tofu in to CubesIn a large bowl or gallon size zip loc bag, add Soy Sauce and Oil, whisk together.Add cubed tofu to bowl. Stir gently until all pieces of tofu are evenly coated.Sprinkle Corn Starch on tofu. Shake bag or gently stir again until all pieces are coated. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, baking mat or nonstick spray. Spread tofu out on the cookie sheet. Bake in the oven for a total 30-35 minutes. Turning once, half way through.
- When Tofu has 5 minutes left in the oven, turn a large sauce pan on medium heat. Add ALL sauce ingredients. Whisk well & often for 5 minutes.Tofu should be done & cooling.Add vegetables(if using); stir to coat--another 5 minutes.Add tofu; stir to coat.Serve warm.
Follow along with the recipe and watch the video for more specific instruction. This recipe truly is a labor of LoVe…
And I hope you LoVe our General Tso’s Tofu Recipe as much as we do!
Enjoy this Recipe? Subscribe to our Super Awesome Vegan Emails so you don’t miss future recipes! We promise to never send you junk you don’t want or share your address with anyone EVER! Just Super Awesome Vegan Content once a month that you’ll look forward to!