Do you ever have one of those recipes that you think you can create, loved during your omni-dairy eating days but really have no idea where to start?? That was me. Yet I still felt like I could create a kick-ass homemade Dairy Free & Vegan French Onion Dip.
I started by researching dairy versions first.
What I found was
mayonnaise and sour cream
were the most consistent combo I would need to recreate the taste of
caramelized onions or dried onion flakes
are the most inconsistent ingredients I need to decide which to use
The day finally came
when I created my first and only version I would have to make. The day was the UFC Fight. …you know the one where McGregor knocked out Cowboy in 40 seconds. We had a Fight Night Party and I created an entire vegan finger food spread.
This was a wing-it and serve it or wing-it and toss it in the trash moment.
Shocked is an understatement for how good this turned out and how much I recommended you making it!
Vegan French Onion Dip
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1.5 tbsp grapeseed oil or avocado oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt + 1 pinch for sautéing onions
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- Soak cashews overnight -OR- do a QUICK SOAK METHOD: In a small pot, bring water and cashews to a boil with a lid. Turn the stove off and let sit for at least 10 minutes. If using a high speed blender, 10 minutes is sufficient–if not, then let sit for closer to 20 minutes.Rinse well
- Over medium heat, add oil, onions and a pinch of salt. Sautee onion until pieces develop a deep caramelization. DO NOT BURN! Adjust your heat down if you notice the pieces browning too fast.
- In a blender, add all ingredients except the caramelized onions. Blend until a silky smooth consistency is obtained--stopping and scraping down the sides if necessary.
- Add your caramelized onions and cashew onion sauce in to your serving bowl. Mix well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Tastes BEST when flavors get to merry overnight in the frig.
BEST SERVED AFTER OVERNIGHT REFRIGERATION but can be served after 2 hour refrigeration.
What did I do with the Vegan French Onion Dip for our party?
I served it with Potato Chips, sliced carrots and cucumber.
What can YOU do with the dip?
Potato Chips. We like the Kettle Brand’s Sea Salt Chips
Veggies! Cut up carrots, cucumber, celery, mini bell pepper’s, radishes or zucchini Veggie presentation tip: Cutting on an angle gives you a longer scoopable slice.
On top of a vegan burger with extra caramelized onion and vegan bacon.
Cook some tots. Drizzle the French Onion Dip on top of tots then layer with a crumbled & cooked Beyond Meat Brat
Check out our UFC Fight Night post to complete your vegan party!
- Spicy BBQ Bac’n Sliders with Onion Rings
- Sweet Hawaiian Pineapple Sliders with Guacamole
- Frank’s Buffalo Chickpea Dip, and
Don’t forget to tag us in your VeggL French Onion Dip pics on Instagram & we’ll share it 🙂