It’s been over 7 years since I’ve eaten an egg from a chicken.
Shock AND happy relief face; since it gives me a sense of peace knowing that I’m no longer eating an(unfertilized) chicken period or contributing to the millions of male baby chicks getting ground up everyday since they are not profitable to the egg industry. It’s true. And I hope I didn’t lose you…this article is more joyful, I promise.
Throughout these 7 years, I had to get familiar with tofu…you know that weird squishy white block of soy that has no taste. I remember the first few times I bought it, I think I let it expire. And then when I had the courage to open it, I don’t think I did anything with it.
It was weird. And squishy.
If you’re a new vegan, you are very familiar with what I’m talking about and may be going through these same thoughts and emotions. If you’re a veteran, like me, you’re probably laughing at how silly you once were because in all honesty tofu is kind of awesome.
It takes on the taste of anything you season it with!
You can make dressings, “egg” scrambles, ricotta cheese, “burger” crumble, bake-it, fry-it and crust-it. Tofu can literally make it’s way easily in to any cuisine…Italian, Asian, American, Korean and Indian. It’s actually a staple in many cultures.
So why are we so afraid of it and act like it’s this foreign thing? It’s not.
Enough with the rambling & on to the Main Event
My Ultimate Vegan Egg Patty. A little over a month ago, I finally figured out the perfect combination of seasonings to make this patty and scrambles. It’s been tested on the new vegan and an omni. Both had high praises & I cannot stop making it for myself!
Vegan Egg Patty
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp kala namak. aka black salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/2-1 tbsp vegan butter
- Some people use an actual tofu press. I DIY it -> Grap a clean kitchen towel & paper towel. Pictures will help greatly with the next couple steps. Lay the paper towel on the kitchen towel.
- Open tofu container. Rinse tofu. Place tofu on one end of the paper towel and fold over...
- then fold over the kitchen towel.
- Next I find a few heavy items that I can balance on this small rectangular towel. We want to create a pressure so the water from within the tofu presses out without smooshing the tofu to pieces. For me, I like placing a small cutting board on top then balancing a heavy pan, pot and even a wine bottle, as shown. And don't you worry, this is a Vegan wine! ha 🙂
Press for at least 30 minutes...longer is better.
- Wisk together black salt, turmeric, black pepper & water in a dish you can cover.
- To create patty's you have 2 options.Option 1 creates 8 patty's: Cut tofu block in half horizontally. Slice tofu to create 4 patty's through each half.
- Option 2 creates 4-8 patty's plus leftovers for scramble: Cut tofu block on it's side in to 4 rectangles... see picture.
- Use the outer lid of a mason jar to create patty circles. A regular size mason jar lid will give you 8 patty's. A large mouth mason jar lid, as pictured, will give you 4 patty's and enough for a tofu scramble.Press the lid then pull away the excess tofu.
- Place each patty in to the marinade. Turn over to cover both sides. Allow to marry for at least 30 minutes. I prefer to marinate overnight; turning them over at least once to make sure the patty's are covered well. Store in the refrigerator.I separated the leftover tofu until my patty's were finished marinating.
The Main Event!
- Heat a skillet over medium/high heat.Melt 1/2-1 tbsp of vegan butter. 1/2 tbsp for 4 patty's. 1 tbsp for 8 patty'sPlace tofu egg patty's in skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side.
What’s great about this Egg Patty is you can use it however you would like …on toast with some avocado, on an English muffin with vegan cream cheese, with faux meats or with a vegan hollandaise sauce. Get creative!
To go with my Ultimate Tofu Egg Patty, I had to create The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich.
My idea of The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich is a tofu egg patty, vegan cheese, a faux breakfast meat, a green, a juicy tomato and a soft & fluffy biscuit.
OooooooMG, have I created just that!
The one piece of advice I will give you is to double check that your ingredients are in fact vegan. I have seen lists with vegan biscuits online, went to the grocery and found out they are are not. READ your ingredients list!
“I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.”
I hope you have an egg-cellent time making my Egg Patties. Wink Face.