5 Vegan Chia Seed Pudding Recipes | Keto Friendly Who knew I could love a Chia Seed Pudding? If you had asked me a month ago, I would have chosen anything over one. Fast forward–through my 21 Day Vegan Keto Challenge, my mind was racing […]
What I Ate Today | Vegan Keto | Fall Comfort Food All I kept thinking was, “I do not care that it is blazing hot outside. I want Comfort Food & Pumpkin Spice!” It IS September! So basically, I kind of mixed the two together. […]
Kung Pao Tofu | Vegan Keto | Low Carb
I am going to be completely honest. This Kung Pao Tofu recipe’s taste in comparison to an authentic Kung Pao Chicken has been approved by Mr. VeggL. For me, I had never had it before.
If this is what it actually tastes like, well then, shame on me for not having tried it sooner. Unfortunately, I am a creature of habit and a Sweet & Sour, Szechuan or General Tso’s have been my all-time go to.
What I have discovered is I love this simple yet spicy sauce with peanuts on top.
And the best part is, you get to control the heat!
While I am a medium spicy gal, my husband is a spicy spicy fella… like sweat practically drips down his face.
The way I created THIS recipe, if you are like me then it’s spicy without being overwhelming. If you are like Mr. VeggL, then you will want to add more of the chili garlic sauce.
Why Did I Decide To Create It?
Simple story… we were supposed to go the Atlanta Botanical Gardens a couple days ago and enjoy a meal out at a Chinese Vegan Restaurant. I did SO much research on how to eat at a Chinese Restaurant while attempting to be as low carb as possible. We ended up having to change plans but since my mind was wrapped around having Chinese, I decided to create a recipe myself and appease that craving by adapting a traditional recipe.
I am very proud that I was able to not only Veganize a popular Chinese dish BUT make it Keto / Low Carb Friendly!
Kung Pao Tofu | Vegan Keto | Low Carb
- 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- oil for frying tofu or a couple tbsp's of vegan butter to pan fry tofu
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ginger, ground
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Syrup, maple flavored
- 1 stalk green onions, 14g
- 1/4 c peanuts
Press Tofu (At Least30 Minutes Prior to Prep)
- Some people use an actual tofu press. I DIY it -> Grap a clean kitchen towel & paper towel. Pictures will help greatly with the next couple steps. Lay the paper towel on the kitchen towel.
- Open tofu container. Rinse tofu. Place tofu on one end of the paper towel and fold over then fold over the kitchen towel.
- Next I find a few heavy items that I can balance on this small rectangular towel. We want to create a pressure so the water from within the tofu presses out without smooshing the tofu to pieces. For me, I like placing a small cutting board on top then balancing a heavy pan & pot. Press for at least 30 minutes...longer is better.
- Remove from towel & paper towel. Cut in to cubes.
Oil Fry or Pan Fry Tofu
- If you are oil frying, start to get your oil hot (350 degrees) about 10 minutes before your tofu should be done pressing.
- In a bowl add the cornstarch & water. Mix. Add the tofu cubes & shake around to coat all the pieces. Let sit for a couple minutes.
- Oil Fry for 5 minutes, let drain on paper towel -OR- Pan fry in pan over medium/high heat with 2tbsp vegan butter until golden brown on each side. Set Aside.
Sauce & Finish
- Add all the rest of the ingredients (not the tofu) to a pan over medium/high heat starting with the sesame oil. Mix well. Immediately turn down to medium. Add tofu & mix until all tofu pieces are coated. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve warm.
What Did I Serve My Kung Pao Tofu With?
- Cauliflower Rice
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! It’s definitely going on rotation & makes me excited to try to create more Vegan Keto Chinese Recipes. 🙂
If you’re interested in reading about my 21 Day Vegan Keto Intermittent Fasting Challenge, check it out here!
Like this Vegan Baked Mac N Cheese? Consider signing up for our Super Awesome Vegan Emails that we send once a month. We put together our best recipes and reviews each month and send them right to your inbox! We’ll never send junk and we’ll NEVER give away your email! Or give us a follow on Pinterest Follow VeggL
Cheesy Chia Crackers | Vegan Keto | Low Carb After being on my Vegan Keto Intermittent Fasting Challenge for the 6th day, I was craving some crunch. Enter Jen’s creation to see if I can make crackers. I did AND they’re pretty good. The Main […]