Cheesy Chia Crackers | Vegan Keto | Low Carb
After being on my Vegan Keto Intermittent Fasting Challenge for the 6th day, I was craving some crunch. Enter Jen’s creation to see if I can make crackers. I did AND they’re pretty good.
The Main Ingredients:
- Chia Seeds: For this recipe, the chia seeds provide a binder or “glue” so the rest of the ingredients stick together. They are a source of omega 3’s, iron, calcium, antioxidants & fiber
- Almond Flour: Almond flour is blanched (skins removed) almonds finely ground. There’s also almond meal which may or may not be blanched. Generally almond meal can be a little less fine and may have dark pieces if left unblanched. You can choose which to use. Almonds are a good source of protein, vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, low in carbohydrates, contains fiber, copper, phosphorous and monounsaturated fats.
- Nutritional Yeast: You may also hear it called “Nooch,” for short. Nutritional Yeast is very common in vegan food to provide a cheesy flavor, nutty & savory flavor. It comes in fortified & unfortified versions. Fortified versions are what you will find at most groceries & in bulk bins. Nooch is a complete & good source of protein(9 essential amino acids), is high in B Vitamins especially B12 and contains trace minerals like zinc, selenium and manganese.
- Vegan Butter: With the many vegan butters on the market now, you can choose which one you like. I personally have tried most of them and while I could eat the Miyokos with a spoon(ha!), I will always prefer Earth Balance. I like a saltier tasting rich butter and I think of all of them, it checks these boxes off.
The Taste: Seed Cracker VS Cheese Cracker
Honestly, the taste is going to lean more towards a seed cracker. While I was hoping the Chia Seeds would just provide the “glue,” they actually have a lot of flavor. I think there is enough of a balance that it works though.
Is This Cracker Really That Easy To Make?
With only 3.7 Net Carbs AND 7 Grams of Protein / Serving, how could you not want to at least try it out?
Let’s Make Some Crackers!
Curious About What I Put On The Crackers…
- Mashed Avocado
- Sauteed Kale
- Vegan Butter
- Sea Salt
- BBQ Seitan Poppers
- homemade–I am working on a recipe for these!
- Violife Feta Cheese
They are seriously the cutest appetizers. If I were to serve these though, I would make the crackers a little thicker.
Oh! And they were delicious!
To See Other Vegan Keto / Low Carb Recipes Or Meal Ideas
- chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp.
- water, 2.5 tbsp
- almond flour, 1/2 cup
- nutritional yeast, 1.5 tbsp
- onion powder, 1/8 tsp
- garlic powder, 1/8 tsp
- sea salt, 1/4 tsp
- vegan butter, 1 tbsp melted
- Preheat Oven 380 degrees. Prepare 2 pieces of parchment paper that fit a cookie sheet and a rolling pin.
- In a small bowl, add chia seeds & water. Stir. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to a bowl. Mix. Once chia seeds are done soaking add to this bowl & mix well.
- Use your hands to compact the mixture in to a ball.
- Lay out a piece of parchment paper. Place the ball in the middle & smash a tiny bit. Lay the other piece of parchment paper over the ball. Using a rolling pin, evenly at a thickness of about 1/8 of an inch. It's important that the dough is even so that it cooks all the way through.
- Remove top layer of parchment paper. Score into however many little pieces you want, being careful not to damage the parchment paper. Lay it on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 6-7 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.