When I’m wanting to cut out the processed Vegan food and get down to business with my nutrition, THIS Kale & Apple Salad is the FIRST change I make.
OHHH, The Nutrition!
You’ve got Kale. And Apple. And Avocado. And Celery. And Pistachios…
Get the picture? It’s pretty darn good for ya!
If you follow a Whole Food Plant Based lifestyle, this is 100% compliant.
Shocking right?! It’s kale and a salad… but guess what? It’s a lot of food.
I give you a recipe that let’s you choose between 3 or 4 cups of kale. I will be honest, I always use 4. I did have to get used to that many greens which is why I give you the choice.
You Know You’re A Massage Therapist When
…you want to compare ‘massaging kale’ with petrissage. Petrissage is a massage technique where you use your hand to apply pressure in a compressing, kneading & pick up and squeeze movement. This is essentially the motion you use to massage kale.
Massaging kale breaks down the cell walls making a leaf-like, crisp leaf in to a palatable softness. When massaged with an acidic liquid, the bitterness that most people taste in kale also becomes much more palatable. In this recipe, we’re using lemon juice and avocado.
Kale & Apple Salad
- Cutting Board
- Salad Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- 3-4 cups kale leaves, packed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 small avocado or 1/4 large
- 1 gala apple, diced small
- 1 small/medium celery stalk, diced small
- 1 tbsp raisins or dried cranberry
- 1-2 tbsp pistachios, shelled & lightly chopped
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar, optional
- Chop kale farely fine. Most people find that by chopping greens small, they are easier to eat. When you chop the kale fine AND massage it in this recipe, it becomes even more palatable!Add lemon juice and avocado.Use your hand to massage the kale until the greens feel covered in the avocado & lemon AND are very soft.
- Add ALL other ingredients & stir. Easy Peazy!Optional bonus taste you can add to the end is a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Now, when someone tells you they do not like kale, you ask them if they’ve had it THIS way!
Then SHARE the recipe
As my daily motto goes, “Get yo Greens in.”
Did you enjoy this Kale & Apple Salad Recipe? Subscribe to our Super Awesome Vegan Emails so you don’t miss future recipes! We promise to never send you junk you don’t want or share your address with anyone EVER! Just Super Awesome Vegan Content once a month that you’ll look forward to!