The vegan options at Mellow Mushroom are really extraordinary. When a pizza place not only carries vegan cheese, but also tempeh, your options are really only limited by your creativity and preference. In addition to pizza, you can also go with a calzone, hoagie or a salad.
While Mellow Mushroom can tend to be a bit pricey, it’s always worth it. Check out our list for all the vegan options at Mellow Mushroom.
Vegan Options at Mellow Mushroom
- Vegan Pretzels … served with yellow mustard.
The only vegan dressings currently available is the Balsamic Vinaigrette and Herb Vinaigrette. Herb Vinaigrette is on the allergen guide but we have not seen it on the menu in quite some time.
- Vegan Enlightened Spinach Salad … comes with fresh spinach, dried cherries, diced apples and house-made glazed pecans.
- Vegan Greek Salad … comes with a mix of romaine and iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots, shredded red cabbage, sweet onions, cucumber, green bell peppers, mushrooms, roma tomatoes, pepperoncini, banana peppers and kalamata olives.
- House Salad. Order with NO parmesan.
Order a half or whole hoagie.
- Vegan Tempeh Hoagie … comes with balsamic marinated tempeh, lettuce, roma tomatoes, vegan cheese, grilled onions, mushrooms and green peppers.
- Avocado Hoagie. Order with vegan cheese and NO mayo. Verify the hoagie bread is the same as the vegan tempeh hoagie … comes with lettuce, roma tomatoes, vegan cheese, sweet onions; topped with avocado slices, seasoned in lemon juice, kosher salt and black pepper.
All calzones are made with fresh mellow dough and served with a side of mellow red sauce. Order with vegan cheese and verify NO butter or parmesan is added as a finish.
- Veggie Calzone. Order with vegan cheese … comes with spinach, mushrooms, roma tomatoes.
- Cheese Calzone. Order with vegan cheese.
- Build Your Own. Start with a vegan cheese calzone then add your favorite ingredients from the “Build Your Own Pie” section below.
Stone Baked Specialty Pizzas
Other than the Vegan Veg Out, verify vegan cheese is used and NO garlic butter or parmesan is added as a finish.
Choose a small 10″, medium 14″ or large 16″ regular or thin pizza crust — or a 10″ gluten-free crust.
OR… If you prefer to Build Your Own, see the details below!
- Vegan Veg Out … comes with mellow red sauce, vegan cheese, spinach, green bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, sweet onions, black olives and roma tomatoes. The garlic butter and parmesan finish automatically been removed.
- Great White. Order with vegan cheese in place of the feta, ricotta and mozzarella and NO butter or parmesan finish … comes with an olive oil and garlic base with sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, roma tomatoes and onions.
- Kosmic Karma. Order with vegan cheese in place of the feta and mozzarella, NO pesto swirl and NO butter or parmesan finish … comes with a mellow red sauce base with spinach, sun-dried roasted tomatoes and roma tomatoes.
- Pacific Rim. Order with vegan cheese in place of the mozzarella, NO butter or parmesan finish and tempeh in place of the ham and bacon … comes with the mellow red sauce, caramelized onions, pineapple and jalapenos.
- Thai Dye Pizza (not available at all locations). Order with vegan cheese, NO butter or parmesan finish and SUB chicken with tempeh … comes with an olive oil and garlic base, Roma tomatoes, onions, fresh basil, cucumbers and a swirl of Thai chili sauce.
Build Your Own Vegan Pie
This is now a category all on its own! Prior to January 2023, you had to verify your pizza is vegan by ordering with vegan cheese and verifying that NO butter or parmesan was added as a finish.
NOW, you can just order a Build Your Own Vegan Pie. All of that is automatic so just pick your crust, sauce and toppings!
Ingredients can be added to the whole pie or just one-half of the pie. Get creative! You can do two completely different halves if you want to.
Pick Your Crust
- Small 10″ – regular, thin or gluten free crust
- Medium 14″ – regular or thin crust
- Large 16″ – regular or thin crust
- Olive Oil & Garlic
- Mellow Red Sauce
Protein (optional) & Cheese
- Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheese
Tempeh can be prepared in your choice of sauce: BBQ, jerk or teriyaki.
(*) items count as two ingredient toppings …. cost extra.
- Apples, diced
- Artichoke Hearts
- Avocado (*)
- Banana Peppers
- Green Peppers
- Mushrooms, Portobello
- Olives, Black
- Olives, Kalamata
- Onions, Caramelized
- Pecans, glazed (*)
- Peppadew Peppers
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Roasted Tomatoes
- Roma Tomatoes
Vegan Dressing / Sauces
If you happen to see the Herb Vinaigrette on your menu, this is vegan as well.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Barbeque Sauce
- Jerk Sauce
- Black Truffle Oil
- Sweet Chili Sauce. Not available at all locations.
Sides & Extras
- Spud Puppies* These are not labeled as vegan so they may share a fryer but the Spud Puppies are Cascadian Farms Organic ones.
- Red Sauce
- Boulder Canyon Chips. Ask about ingredients.
*As with any restaurant that is not 100% vegan or does not offer a designated cooking space for their vegan options, cross-contamination can occur and fryers/grills may be shared with animal products. You can choose what your level of comfort is with these potential issues.
Mellow Mushroom Vegan FAQ
What vegan cheese does Mellow Mushroom use?
Mellow Mushroom uses Follow Your Heart vegan cheese.
Is Mellow Mushroom crust vegan?
Yes! Both the baked crust and thin crust are vegan, but you have to specify NO butter or parmesan finish is added to the crust.
Is Mellow Mushroom Vegan Friendly?
Yes!! You have plenty of vegan options at Mellow Mushroom to choose from–pizza, salads, hoagies and a vegan pretzel appetizer. They also offer vegan cheese and tempeh.
Tofu used to be on the menu but appears to have been removed.
Does Mellow Mushroom Have Tofu?
They used to but as of January (the most recent update we have made to the guide, they no longer do. If you are looking for a vegan protein, tempeh is still on the menu.
Is Vegan Feta On Mellow Mushroom’s Menu?
No. It was added in January 2022 to a limited-time vegan pizza they were offering but it is no longer on the menu.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 350 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Ryan’s Pick: The Pacific Rim with vegan cheese and jerk tofu. One of my favorite pizzas that I get anywhere. Yes, a pizza with pineapples on it is one of my favorites. The contrast of heat and sweet on this pizza is outstanding.
January 2023 Update–> Tofu has since been removed. You can ask for tempeh instead.
Jen’s Pick: I was always a fan of the Thai Dye Pizza made vegan. I’m not sure why Mellow Mushroom discontinued it when you can still order all the ingredients and create your own. Pick either crust with olive oil and garlic base, tofu, vegan cheese, roma tomatoes and caramelized onions. Top with basil and cucumbers. As of January 2023, the Sweet Chili Sauce is not available at all locations. We suggest checking your location’s menu or asking.
Updated Review 5.26.21: While the Thai Dye is my favorite, I did just try the Kosmic Karma with vegan cheese and no pesto swirl. I really was not expecting much but a Cheese or Margherita-style pizza tasted well above what I was thinking. I’ve also had the Pacific Rim the way Ryan gets it and the Kosmic Karma came out ahead of it even, for me.
More Links and Info
- One of the original vegan friendly chain restaurants, Mellow Mushroom is a pizza franchise with over 200 locations across the US.
- If you’d like to check out Mellow Mushroom’s entire menu, you can follow this link directly to their main site.
- Information pulled from Mellow Mushroom’s Allergen & Special Diets Menu
- Not quite what you were looking for? VeggL has over 200 Vegan Guides for popular chain restaurants including our 7 favorite pizza chains for vegans
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up to date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!