With no plant-based burger and no non-dairy milkshakes, the vegan options at Steak n’ Shake become pretty scarce. If you’re vegan at Steak n’ Shake you’re going to be choosing between a side salad or a random collection of sides.
Here’s to hoping Steak n’ Shake jumps on the plant-based burger bandwagon that is becoming more and more popular.
We wouldn’t be mad about a non-dairy milkshake either 😉
Vegan Options at Steak n’ Shake
- Garden Fresh Salad. Order with Light Italian Dressing and NO cheese or croutons … comes with lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, and red cabbage.
- Oyster or Saltine Crackers could be a topping to replace the croutons.
- Light Italian
- Garden Salad. Order with Light Italian Dressing and NO croutons.
- Spaghetti. Order plain.
- Baked Beans (doesn’t appear to be available at all locations)
- Thin ‘n Crispy Fries*
- Cajun Fries*
Vegan on the Kid’s Menu
- Baked Beans
- Fresh Banana
- Honest Kids Organic Appley Ever After (Apple Juice)
Vegan Breakfast Options
I honestly did not know until researching for this guide that Steak n’ Shake served Breakfast. Not a ton of options here either though.
- Hash Brown, Crispy Patty
- Hash Browns, Shredded
- Bagel – The Bagel Sandwich is fairly obviously not vegan, but the bagel itself is.
Steak n’ Shake’s official statement regarding cross-contamination:
While a particular ingredient statement for an individual product may not list one of these allergens, our products may be prepared in an environment that is shared with products containing one or more of these allergens.
Accordingly, Steak ’n Shake cannot assure that any menu item will be “allergen free.”
While we can’t confirm this (yet), based on experience we would imagine this would be especially true for the fries and hash browns in the fryer. Make sure to check with your server if this may be an issue for you.
Steak n’ Shake FAQ
Are Steak n’ Shake’s Onion Rings Vegan?
According to Steak n’ Shake’s ingredients list, their onion rings contain whey. This means they are not vegan. Whey is also the last ingredient listed meaning it’s the smallest amount of any ingredient in the onion rings.
So close Steak n’ Shake. So close.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 300 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Jen & Ryan’s Pick: Have not been to a Steak n’ Shake in a long time, definitely not since going vegan. We will update here if we do.
More Links and Info:
- Want to see Steak n Shake’s full menu? Head over to the Steak n’ Shake Official Printable Menu.
- Information pulled directly from Steak n’ Shake’s Ingredient and Allergen List
- Not seeing exactly what you wanted? We also have vegan guides for Denny’s and Taco Bell as well as 175 other popular chain restaurants on our Vegan Guides at Restaurants Main Page
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up to date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!