Shake Shack has chosen to add a couple of vegan options to all of their locations in the United States in 2023. Finally!
We knew they had been testing a burger, custard and milkshake since November 2020 at various locations in California, New York, Texas, New Jersey, Kentucky, and Ohio. It appeared the burger did not stay on permanently but we’ve seen the custard and shake available.
Now you will be able to order a traditional burger, fries & shake at Shake Shack. Be aware though, there will be many modifications for the Veggie Shack… aka, their new veggie burger.
Vegan Options at Shake Shack
–> There has been a lot of incomplete info out there about how to make the Veggie Shack vegan. I answer all of the questions below but if you have read information that does not match up, I wrote about it here.
- Veggie Shack. Order with NO cheese, crispy onions or shake sauce. SUB the burger bun with either a gluten-free bun (cost extra) or a lettuce wrap … comes with a meatless burger consisting of sweet potatoes, carrots, farro & quinoa and pickles. We suggest asking for ketchup and/or mustard to use as a sauce.
Burger Toppings Available
Some may cost extra. Check with your location.
- Cherry Peppers
- Sliced Onion
Vegan Shake/Frozen Custard
- Non-Dairy Chocolate Custard
- Non-Dairy Chocolate Shake.
* As with any restaurant that is not 100% vegan or does not offer a designated cooking space for their vegan options, cross-contamination can occur and fryers/grills may be shared with animal products. You can choose what your level of comfort is with these potential issues.
Shake Shack FAQ
Is Shake Shack’s Crispy Onions Vegan?
No. According to Shake Shack’s allergen guide, their Crispy Onions contain dairy.
What is the Veggie Shack Burger Patty made out of at Shake Shack?
According to Shake Shack, the Veggie Shack patty is made from portobello mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, leeks, roasted red onion, roasted garlic, sunflower seeds, cabbage, beets, miso, chives, farro and quinoa.
Is the ‘Shroom Burger at Shake Shack Vegan?
No! The ‘Shroom Burger at Shake Shack is filled with Muenster and Cheddar Cheeses and therefore is not vegan.
Does Shake Shack Have Vegan Shakes?
Yes! Shake Shack offers a Non-Dairy Chocolate Frozen Shake.
Does Shake Shack Have Vegan Meat?
Yes! Starting May 5, 2023, Shake Shack will offer a Veggie Pattie that is vegan. Be aware though, it is a veggie-filled one (sweet potatoes, carrots, farro & quinoa)–not an Impossible or Beyond type patty.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 400 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Jen’s Pick: The Veggie Shack on a lettuce wrap; ordered with NO cheese, crispy onions or shake sauce. Add tomato and pickles, Fries and their Non-Dairy Chocolate Shake.
The burger patty is very flavorful! And the Fries with Non-Dairy Chocolate Shake remind me of back in the day (pre-vegan) when I would get a frosty and fries from Wendy’s. Yum!
More Links and Info:
- Want to see Shake Shack’s full menu? Head over to the Shake Shack Official Printable Menu.
- Information pulled directly from Shake Shack’s Allergen Info
- Not seeing exactly what you wanted? We also have vegan guides for Denny’s and Taco Bell as well as 215 other popular chain restaurants on our Vegan Guides at Restaurants Main Page
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up to date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!