Not many vegan options to choose from at Shake Shack, but hopefully that may be changing. In November of 2020, Shake Shack unveiled a Veggie Shack for a limited time at select California, New York, Texas, New Jersey, Kentucky, and Ohio Shacks!
Shake Shack has toyed with adding a vegan-friendly burger option on their menu in the UK and in the States for years now. Let’s hope after this limited taste test trial that a vegan burger will become a permanent fixture on the menu!
VeggL Quick Order
Are you in line at Shake Shack and need to figure out what to order, like NOW!?! Here is what we recommend:
- If you’re lucky, your location offers the Veggie Shack. Ask your server. If they do, make sure to order with NO mayo.
- Grab some fries and call it a day. Cross-contamination may be an issue but they’re still your best bet if the Veggie Shack is not available.
- If you’re feeling super creative, there is a list of Mix-Ins (Ice Cream toppings, basically) that you choose from. No vegan ice cream though.
Vegan Options at Shake Shack
- Veggie Shack – Order with NO Mayo
- Gluten Free Bun
(Shake Shack has a ‘Shroom Burger, but don’t get too excited. The Portobello mushroom burger is filled with cheese.)
Vegan Concrete Mix-Ins
- Amarena Cherries
- Cacao Nibs
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Citrus Marinated Fresh Raspberries
- Coffee Beans
- Graham Crackers
- Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Potato Chips (Route 11)
- Strawberry Jam
- Strawberry Puree
- White Peach Puree
Vegan & Vegetarian Options
Shake Shack specifically addresses some information about vegetarian and vegan options:
The ‘Shroom Burger is a vegetarian burger, and doesn’t contain meat. All rennet and enzymes are plant-based. Some Shacks use the same equipment and frying oil to cook chicken. Please ask a team member about the policies at your local Shack.
Shake Shack FAQ
Is the ‘Shroom Burger at Shake Shack Vegan?
No. The ‘Shroom Burger at Shake Shack is filled with Muenster and Cheddar Cheeses and therefore is not vegan.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 140 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Ryan’s Pick: I’ve never been to a Shack Shack. Would love a chance to try out the Veggie Shack. Will update here if I do.
Jen’s Pick: N/A.
More Links and Info:
- Want to see Shake Shack’s full menu? Head over to the Shake Shack Official Printable Menu.
- Information pulled directly from Shake Shack’s Allergen Info
- Not seeing exactly what you wanted? We also have vegan guides for Denny’s and Taco Bell as well as 125 other popular chain restaurants on our Vegan Guides at Restaurants Main Page
- We are working tirelessly to make sure all the information contained in VeggL is accurate and up to date. However, sometimes options change. If you notice a change at a restaurant that we need to know about, let us know