Woo-hoo! As of May 2022, you can now order a vegan hot dog at Portillo’s. A Classic Chicago-style Hot Dog made with Field Roast and has all your favorite Chicago style toppings; mustard, relish, onion, tomatoes, peppers and pickles.
Unfortunately, the fries are fried in beef tallow which makes no sense because according to Portillos’ they get their own fryer.
We’re grateful for the Plant-Based Garden Dog… but I’m sure we would all like some fries to go with it.
Portillo’s Vegan Options
- Plant-Based Garden Dog … comes with mustard, relish, onion, tomatoes, sport peppers, and pickles. A classic Chicago-style hot dog made with Field Roast.
- French Bread, 6 inch
- Hamburger Bun
- Hot Dog Bun
- Garden Side Salad – Order with NO cheese and NO croutons
We would list the Greek salad, but by the time you make all the necessary modifications, you’re probably better off asking if they’ll add Kalamata Olives to your Garden Side Salad.
Salad Dressings and Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
- House Dressing
- Lite Italian Dressing
Portillo’s Vegan FAQ
Is Portillo’s House Dressing Vegan?
Yes, the house dressing at Portillo’s is vegan. So is their Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette and Lite Italian Dressing.
Are Portillo’s Fries Vegan?
June 2022 UPDATE: We were told by Portillo’s that the fries are vegan in January 2022 which included the statement crossed out below; however, as of June 2022, we have been notified by VeggL users that the fries are fried in beef tallow. We immediately removed the fries from our guide and confirmed they are in fact fried in beef tallow.
The fries at Portillo’s are vegan. The fries at Portillo’s even have their own dedicated fryer. There is still a slight chance of cross-contamination, but it’s about the best situation that you can hope for at a fast food restaurant. Here’s Portillo’s statement:
Our French fries are gluten-free and cooked in their own designated fryer. However, the equipment used to filter the oil in the French fry fryer is shared with the fryers responsible for frying items that do contain gluten (i.e. breaded chicken, breaded fish, and onion rings).
What’s frustrating is that they do have their own designated fryer… we should be asking why Portillo’s is offering a vegan hot dog but not vegan fries.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 300 vegan guides for restaurants, airports, sports venues and now theme parks. Get unlimited access to all our guides with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
More Links and Info
- If you’d like to see Portillo’s entire menu, make sure to head over to their Official Menu Page
- Information for this guide as obtained through a combination of their Nutrition and Allergen Information Page and representatives from Portillo’s
- Don’t have a Portillo’s near you? Don’t worry! VeggL has hundreds of Vegan Guides including other popular chain restaurants like Red Robin and Wienerschnitzel
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up to date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!