The vegan options at Popeyes are not anything to get too excited about.
If you do find yourself at a Popeyes, because you’re out with family and friends, there are a few options that can get you by. If you don’t mind doing a little explaining, you can make your own vegan po’boy.
If not, your best bet is to go for some Corn on the Cob (as long as they don’t make it with butter. Make sure to ask) with a Baguette. Finally, Popeyes uses beef tallow in their fryers so anything coming out of the fryers (Cajun Fries for ex) is not vegan.
Vegan Options at Popeyes
- Po’Boy. Order with NO chicken or seafood and NO sauce. Ask them to load it up with the veggies and add a Vegan Sauce from below on the side.
- Corn on the Cob but FIRST ask if they can make it without butter. Some locations do & some do not.
- Grits (Breakfast)
*The Red Beans & Rice and Cajun Rice have meat in them.
^May share fryer with meat. Check with your location.
FYI: Popeye’s uses beef tallow in their fryers meaning anything coming out of the fryers is not vegan. This includes the Cajun Fries and the Hashbrowns.
Popeye’s Vegan FAQ
Are Popeye’s French fries vegan?
Popeyes fries everything in beef tallow including the Cajun Fries. So no, we do not consider their fries (or their hash browns) to be vegan.
Does Popeye’s Red Beans and Rice Have Pork In It?
Yes. Popeye’s red beans and rice are cooked with pork. Obviously, this makes them not vegan.
Are Popeye’s Biscuits Vegan?
The Biscuits at Popeye’s contain milk, so unfortunately no, they are not vegan. If you’re looking for a bread option, try the baguette – they are vegan.
The VeggL App
Download the ultimate on-the-go vegan resource. Quickly access over 350 vegan guides for restaurants, airports and stadiums. Get unlimited access to all our sheets with the free version. Upgrade to Pro to go ad-free!
Never get frustrated by not knowing what you can get to eat ever again!
Ryan and Jen’s Pick: N/A
- Want to see Popeyes full menu? Head over to the Popeyes Official Menu page.
- Info for this cheat sheet was pulled directly from Popeye’s Nutritional Info Page and from calling a few of their locations.
- Not seeing exactly what you wanted? We also have Cheat Sheets for over 175 different popular restaurant chains including other locations like KFC and Chick Fil-A.
- Disclaimer: We do everything possible at VeggL to make sure all our Vegan Guides are as up to date as possible, but sometimes menus and menu items can change. VeggL is not responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Always check with your location and server to confirm items are vegan when ordering. If you notice something that needs to be corrected – please let us know!