The vegan options at A&W are a bit tricky. While A&W in Canada made headlines as one of the first restaurants to offer the Beyond Burger. Although multiple reports have stated that A&W is/has(?) rolled out Beyond Burgers in the US as well, a trip to their website would lead one to believe otherwise. Our best advice is to just ask, or maybe even call ahead if that’s an option, if your location carries it. If all else fails the Root Beer is always a good vegan option at A&W.
Vegan Options at A&W
- Beyond Burger – Like we stated above, there seems to be conflicting information on whether all US locations carry the Beyond Burger. Ask your location to find out for sure. If they do offer it, make sure to order WITHOUT Mayo and Burger Sauce (Uncle Sauce). Also, beware that the burger is cooked on the same grill as meat products.
- Mott’s Applesauce
In you’re wondering about the Onion Rings, they contain whey.
Sweets & Treats
- Limeade, Strawberry
- Limeade, Cherry
- Slushee, Cherry
- Slushee, Watermelon
- Slushee, Lemon
- Slushee, Lime
- Slushee, Blue Raspberry
- A&W Root Beer
- A&W Diet Root Beer
*In some restaurants fish, shrimp, chicken, potatoes, and other fried menu items may be prepared in the same oil – via A&W website
Vegan/Vegetarian selections are prepared on common equipment with animal-derived products. – via A&W website
Are A&W Buns Vegan?
Yes! According to the A&W Menu Ingredient Statement their buns are vegan. Their Texas Toast is also vegan.
Is A&W seasoning vegan?
Yes! Per the A&W website their seasoning is vegan. In fact, here is what A&W’s seasoning consists of:
Salt, sugar, spices, paprika, dextrose, onion powder, corn starch, garlic powder, hydrolyzed cornprotein, extractive of paprika, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent).
How do you make an A&W Beyond Burger vegan?
First, make sure to order without Mayo and Burger Sauce (Uncle Sauce). Secondly, if you’re concerned with cross-contamination then making the burger 100% vegan friendly may not be possible as the Beyond Burger is cooked on the same grill as meat products.
Is A&W Root Beer Dairy Free?
Yes! A&W’s Root Beer and Diet Root Beer are both dairy free and 100% vegan.
Can I eat WFPB (Whole Food Plant Based) at &Pizza?
The best you can do at A&W is their Mott’s Applesauce and that depends on what your stance is on high fructose corn syrup because it does contain that. Of course if you consider the HFCS to be reasonable then you might be ok with a Limeade. It is labeled as vegan but does contain not what I would call healthy WFPB ingredients.
VeggL Cheat Sheet Guides
Ryan’s Pick: We got lucky to happen to be in Canada shortly after A&W released their Beyond Burgers. Burger was solid, fries are good and when you go to A&W you have to get a root beer, am I right?
Jen’s Pick: Had the Beyond Burger as well and Ryan insisted I try the root beer even though I am not a fan of root beer. Let’s just say that I’m still not a fan of root beer lol.
- Want to see A&W’s full menu? Head over to the A&W’s Official Menu page.
- Information pulled directly from A&W’s Nutrition & Allergens/Sensitivities Guide and their Menu Ingredient Statement
- Not seeing exactly what you wanted? We also have cheat sheets for Burger King and Carl’s Jr as well as 60 other popular chain restaurants on our Cheat Sheet Main Page
- We are working tirelessly to make sure all the information contained in VeggL is accurate and up to date. However, sometimes options change. If you notice a change at a restaurant that we need to know about, let us know
Last updated 4/14/20