Cauliflower is always a staple in my house but creating cauliflower steak has been a fun new adventure for me along with adjusting my smoky paprika sauce to make it super easy to blend without having to pre-soak your almonds.
What is a Cauliflower Steak?
A cauliflower steak is a thick cut of the cauliflower to make it “steak like.” –not florets like you are probably used to seeing this versatile cruciferous vegetable.
An entire cauliflower can be utilized in multiple ways; a ‘steak,’ steamed florets, roasted florets, mashed or as cauliflower rice.
But how do we make this a meal?
Enter, Kale and Beyond Meat Sausage! All four of these components create a perfectly balanced and even low net carb meal if you are looking for a delicious and filling plant based keto meal.
- Remove the cauliflower’s green leaves
- Slice through the entire cauliflower; 1/2-1″ thickness
- In a casserole dish, coat each side of your ‘steak’ in a high smoke point oil like avocado, coconut or grapeseed
- Season with salt/pepper
- Add cut sausage & cover with foil
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees F
- Uncover. Bake another 10-15 minutes OR pan fry over medium heat until browned on both sides.
- Serve warm
You can absolutely change up the vegan sausage brand you use; however, the macronutrients in the recipe will need to be recalculated.
Smoky Paprika Sauce
While your cauliflower and vegan sausage are cooking, you’ll make your Smoky Paprika Sauce.
Our suggestion is to use a Hand Blender. I have a much older version of this Kitchen Aid Hand Blender but it’s the one we would suggest. I generally make all of my small batch sauces in this and also use the stick to blend soups in a stock pot. Anything larger, I use my Vitamix Blender.
If you are used to soaking nuts before making a sauce, you are going to LoVE this recipe! It is so QUICK and EASY to make. We are using almond flour instead of whole almonds which cuts your time down to seconds instead of hours.
SWEETENER–SUGAR OR KETO FRIENDLY SWEETENER (this recipes macronutrients is specifically keto friendly)
In your blender cup, add of the ingredients & blend. The initial sauce will be more runny. *If you want a thicker sauce, make your sauce a couple hours before so it has time to thicken in the refrigerator.
The last 10 minutes your cauliflower is in the oven is when you’ll cook your kale. You can add the kale in to your cauliflower/v. sausage casserole dish if you have room, put in it’s own dish or saute it on the stove top. I have done this each way and I will be honest, the liquid released from the sausage is a nice addition of seasoning to the kale if you can combine it–just make sure your casserole dish is large enough or cook the vegan sausage on the stove top as well.
Cauliflower Steak with Greens, Vegan Sausage & Smoky Paprika Sauce
Cauliflower Steak, Beyond Sausage & Kale
- 4 steak slices Fresh Cauliflower, approximately 90g each
- 2 links Beyond Sausage, sliced
- 6 cups Kale, chopped
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil; or other high smoke point oil, divided 2tbsp / 1tbsp
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
Smoky Paprika Sauce (Keto Friendly)
- 2.5 tbsp Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Swerve, granular --or use sugar/maple syrup if not keto
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Cauliflower Steak, Beyond Sausage & Kale (2 servings)
- Preheat oven 425 F.
- Cauliflower & V. Sausage: Place the cut sausage in the casserole dish around the cauliflower. In a casserole dish, coat each side of your 'steak' in a high smoke point oil like avocado, coconut or grapeseed. Season with salt/pepper. Tightly over with foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Kale: While the cauliflower and sausage are cooking, toss the kale with 1tbsp of oil(and make the smoky paprika sauce if you haven't already). Place in a baking dish or cooking sheet of its own--think of what will fit in your oven with the casserole dish.
- Uncover the casserole dish. Add the kale to the oven and bake everything for 10 minutes.
- Plate. Serve warm with Smoky Paprika Sauce
Smoky Paprika Sauce (makes 4 servings)
- Blend the almond flour, tahini, lime juice, garlic, rice vinegar, smoked paprika, sweetener, salt & water until creamy. This sauce will be a bit runny when you first make it--delicious as is--but if you want it thickened, make it a few hours before and refrigerate until serving.
Time to Plate!
Get creative. Feeling artistic, I circled the Smoky Paprika Sauce on the plate first then added the kale. I put it on the side then added the cauliflower steak and vegan sausage to other side. I also think building everything in center would be nice. We eat with our eyes first. If you have time, make it a nice presentation. I always feel a little more proud of what I’ve created, when it’s pretty.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!