The Best Vegan Classic Coleslaw
I am very aware that saying this is THE BEST VEGAN COLESLAW may be overzealous but my goodness, I have made A LOT of Coleslaw over the past few months.
For the longest time, I was only making vinegar based coleslaws because we were putting it on top of Vegan Burgers with BBQ Sauce. To me, the tanginess balanced out the sweet & spicy of the BBQ sauce.
Then, my in-laws visited us
Unaware at the time, I made one of my vinegar based coleslaws to go with burgers & corn on the cob–my father-in-law is already not much of a coleslaw fan but really not a fan of vinegar based ones. (fail–sad face)
Since then, I have been working on a more “classic” recipe. You know, the kind that has some sugar in it, lots of mayo & very little vinegar.
Lucky For You, I Have It Figured Out!
Don’t get me wrong I still LOVE a vinegar based coleslaw, but lately with us being in the midst of summer, I am hooked on making THIS Classic Version to go with BBQ’s.
Need Other Ideas For Your Vegan BBQ?
- Burgers (Check out our Vegan Burger Review!)
- Hot Dogs (Our favorites are Field Roast’s Frankfurters)
- Brats (Beyond Meat Brats are the ultimate for us)
- Potato Salad
- Cold Pasta Salad
- Our Mediterranean Salad
- Corn on the Cob (with either Vegan Butter or a juiced lime & nutritional yeast sprinkled on)
- …and our newest favorite–my Jack & Baked Beans recipe I just created. Once I have this recipe posted, I will link it here.
- 16 oz Coleslaw Mix (or approximately 7 cups of a mix of green cabbage & carrots)
- 1 stalk Green Onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mayonnaise. I prefer Hellman's Vegan Mayo
- 2 1/2 tbsp Cane Sugar to ensure it is Vegan & not processed with bone char
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white or black pepper
- In a medium size bowl, preferably a bowl that can be covered(like a pyrex), add the Mayo, Cane Sugar, ACV, Salt & Pepper. Mix well.
- Add the Coleslaw Mix & Green Onions(if using) in to the bowl and mix well. Depending on the size of your bowl, it may be easier to add the coleslaw in batches then mix.
- Cover; keep in the refrigerator until time to serve. Stir a couple times to make sure all of the veggies stay coated.
OR, How About Stacking It?
Make It. Share It.
Then Tag us in your Instagram Pics @veggl_veganeats